cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Why Dlm Steals Bandwith and slows your speed down for no reason other than had to reboot

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

Its Disgusting How Every Time You Reboot The Modem Or Theres A Power Cut DLM Kicks In And Reduces Your Speed And Highers Ping And Takes Forever To Put Right By BTs Rubbish System I Have Been Studying This And Believe They Use DLM To Steal Bandwith For New Customers Its About Time They Sort This  

To Give In Is To Accept Defeat
Highlighted
Gavona
Chat Champion

I agree that DLM is frustrating though I don't subscribe to the whole thing being designed to steal bandwidth.

Part of the problem is that it is not transparent why the DLM has made its adjustments in a particular case - error or disconnects?

Wouldn't it be great if TT had a user friendly guide like ZEN's (note that TT uses a different option to ZEN so the DLM thresholds in that article are different)
https/support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Fibre-Optic-Broadband-FTTC-What-is-DLM-and-how-does-it-work

(There is a more technical guide here: https/kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm but this is hard going for non-experts like me.)

Your studies have no doubt uncovered the advice that whenever you disconnect or power down your router you leave it at least 30 mins before reconnecting. If you do this then DLM will interpret this as an "unforced retrain" so it should not contribute to the automated decision to adjust your connection. (I got this from kitz link above).
Now I want to try my router in a number of different locations in the house. Unfortunately this 30 minute thing turns that into a job that will take all day. So I would love a way of signalling to DLM that the last disconnect was deliberate.

Of all these suggestions I think that the only one within TT direct control is the idea of a guide to explain DLM. The others are things that at best they could seek to influence OpenReach to change.

Thanks,
Gavona
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Korkscrew1972

How often is the router rebooted? For fibre connections we advise leaving the router switched on.

Please can you add your TalkTalk telephone number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

I Never reboot the router As Sometimes This Can Cause DLM To Kick In What Happens Is When Talk Talk Update There Systems It Causes My Own Purchased Router To Keep Rebooting Itself Many Times And Only Way To Sort This Problem Is By Turning The Router Off For 30 Mins Then To Turn Back On But By This Time DLM Alters The Line Thinking Theres A Problem And Penalises Me Harshly I know When TalkTalk Do There Updating As It Comes Up With Your Isps DHCP Isnt Working Correctly And This Is The Only Time I Get This DLM Issue..

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

Thanks For The Links Found Them Today My Problems Arise From Talktalk When Updating There Systems As I Have Mentioned Below This I think Is Down To Having My Own Router Rather Than Talktalks Own I Have Of Today 5 days Of No Errors Or Any Problems Yet DLM is Leaving Me With Slow Speeds and a well below average ping Im Debating Whether To Try A 30 Min Router Off But Reluctant Incase Of Another Sting From DLM Lol..

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Korkscrew1972,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. The connection looks stable, however the sync speed looks like it has dropped. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

Theres No Noise On The Line Whatsoever like Ive Said My Download Speeds Dropped And The Sync Rate When There Was An Update Which Sends My Router Into A Fit  Of Dropping Out Then Coming Back On Every Few Minutes Then It Takes A 30 Min Reboot To Resolve This But Then DLM Has Already Taken Its Toll Which Decides Cut Your Sync Rate Higher Ping And God Knows What to my connection Plus Ive Done All Them Socket Tests Before But This Is Not The Problem In This Case Its DLM

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Korkscrew1972,

Do you have an alternative router that you could connect over the weekend (for 48hrs) to see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed? If there is no improvement then we can ask our Network Team to take a look at the drop in speed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

not changing routers As Causes More Problems Thanks

Highlighted
Birchcroft
Wise Owl

@Korkscrew1972  you mentioned that you are using your own  router and you think the problems arise when TalkTalk update their system. So just just a thought have you disabled TR069 on the router.  The reason I ask is just in case when TalkTalk issue updates to their router it upsets yours.  This should not be the case and as such is unlikely but there should be no downside to turning TR069 off unless you use it yourself and therefore worth a try.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Korkscrew1972,

What problems do you experience when you connect the TalkTalk router?

Chris

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

Right My Router was left over 8 days DLM hasnt Once tried to fix my speed although it has been stable for that period I am Getting less than my guaranteed speed I Am Sick To Death How Long I have to wait for my service to be returned to normal why should i pay for your services when you are not meeting your Promises I wIll Be seeking A good will Gesture from yourselves as it is causing a lot of stress and time and effort to get somebody to do something about it as for what my router does when i plug it in it comes on some lights flash and then im connected simples until someone starts messing about at your end and causes my router to mess up you need get hold of BT  and get them to reboot DLM on My Line  Like I Said Someones Stealing Bandwith Somewhere by keep lowering my sync rate..

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Korkscrew1972,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It looks like DLM has started to increase the sync speed in the last 24hrs. Have you noticed any improvement?

Thanks

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

Hi Noticed Something Was Happening A Few Days Ago So Thought It Would Sort It But Last Night The Router Went Off Around 3AM I Thought DLM Was Kicking In But It Kept Rebooting Itself Constantly Through Out The Night So This Morning I Powered The Router Down And Checked Everything I Could Over An Hour Later I Powered Back Up The Router My Speed Has Increased But Ping Is Still Reading 21 When Normaly Its Around 12 Also The Up speed Normally Is On Fast Path When Connection Is Right  So Still Frustrating Especially When Im Online Gaming Can Notice The Delay And Lag Because Of The Ping 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Korkscrew1972,

Apologies for this.

Which router is currently connected to the line?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

Asus DSL aC68U 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Korkscrew1972,

I've re-run the line test which is still clear however I can see quite a few re-connections on the line and the sync speed has dropped slightly. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes before we pass the intermittent connection over to our Network Team?

Is the voice service still ok with no noise on the line? Could you also confirm if the master socket does have a test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

Hi Depends What Router Is Offered the socket is the latest one bt put in and dont think it has a test socket its getting a bit frustrating now as interleave depth is really high and Dlm is doing nothing to try and settle the line sync and am getting quite a large amount of download crc errors which normally come in big clumps for no apparent reason regards Paul..

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Paul

I can send a HG633 or DSL3782 router for testing. Which would you prefer to test with?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Korkscrew1972
Participant

Ive Had Both These Routers Which Kept Rebooting Hense The Reason I Purchased My Own Router So I Would Hopefully Get Better Results Which I havnt as it does exactly the same i Think You Need To Google The HG633 And Read All The Reports On Its Performance Issues Ill Be Asking For a Reduced Price On My Bill As Im Not Getting The Stability And Speed Promised To Me When I signed Up For The Service Also The Speed Shouldnt Be Goin Up And Down Like A yoyo when u do a speed test And How Can U Call It Fibre When Its Running Through Copper Phone Lines Is Ridiculous Its Classed As ADSL About Time We Were Took Out Of The Dinosaur Times And Get Them Up To Modern Standards