Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wi-Fi Optimisation

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

My Wi-Fi hub has recently been switching my 2.4G channel to 6 every night. This seems rather presumptuous of it. I was rather hoping it might confess to this in the logs, but unfortunately I have over a thousand pages of logs that can only be navigated one page at a time, can't be cleared, and, most bizarrely, are sorted on the day of the month so start with 31st, leaving my current logs somewhere around page 1000 - a very long standing bug.

A trawl of this forum suggests that this might be some 'optimisation' technology at work that I didn't know existed. If so it isn't being helpful as it is moving my Wi-Fi from the fixed channel specifically chosen to avoid interfering with my Zigbee mesh, to one that is slap bang on top of it. Coincidentally that is also the busiest channel at the moment, by some distance. It isn't clear how any optimisation can usefully work without my input to better inform it, as if not being switched to 'auto' wasn't a big enough clue.

Please turn it off on my line.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi OrangeBucket

The line optimisation has been switched off. Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thank you Debbie. I don't expect to see any difference with my Wi-Fi whatsoever as I do as little as I can on 2.4G anyway. The really useful way to 'optimise' it would be to magically add a radio to my wi-fi extender so it could use a different channel to my router, and to reconfigure all the neighbours' access points to their detriment. I'm all for performance monitoring but it should offer suggestions, not take unilateral action. Same with the 'Service Status' that constantly suggests I have issues with certain wi-fi devices without saying what these issues supposedly are. That is worse than useless.

What the change should do is remove a possible threat to the integrity of my Zigbee mesh.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

My 2.4G Wi-Fi Channel was again switched to 6 overnight on Thursday and Friday, despite my explicitly setting it to 1 manually. Does it take a while for the Wi-Fi Optimisation setting change to take effect?

Or could there be another mechanism involved? All I know is I've been using channel 1 for months, and only in the last few days have I noticed it having been changed. I'm not saying it wasn't changing before that, only that I didn't spot it.

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket

Apologies for the delay.

The line optimisation is still showing as switched off. Have you experienced any issues since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Yes, the 2.4G channel continues to be changed to channel 6 at some point overnight, and I continue to change it back again manually in the morning.

Highlighted

Hi

I've Set optimisation to off directly on the platform, try this over the next day or two and let me know if the wifi channel remains where you set it.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello again,

That's two mornings running that the Wi-Fi channel has been where I left it the previous evening, so that seems like a good sign.

Thanks,

G.

Highlighted

Hi OrangeBucket,

Optimisation still appears to be disabled, has the channel changed again since your post?

Chris