Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wi-fi Hub Channel Seletion

12 REPLIES 12
Giraffe
Wise Owl

There is an issue with my TalkTalk Wi-fi Hub channel selection settings.

I have found that channel 11 provides best Wi-fi signal in my home but no matter how many times I go in and select this channel by next day the hub has changed my channel from11 to 6 or 1.

I read a post somewhere in this community that  there is a known problem with the hub that effects channel settings but TalkTalk can sort this out. Can you please advise as the present issue is very frustrating?

My Hub Version is SG4K10002808t

Thanks 

Community Team

Hi

Our monitoring system has reported latency detected on the wifi channel and has switched this to improve the performance.

Looking at your wifi channels currently, I'm showing 6 broadcasts around you on channel 11,  5 on channel 6 and 4 broadcasts on channel 1, so there is possible interference on the higher channel.

Thanks

Karl. 

Giraffe
Wise Owl

Hi Karl

Thanks for your reply but your answer to my issue raises various questions in my mind.

1.  You can analyse my home network and local associated signals?

2.  When I look at the wifi anylisers I have access to one on my Android Tablet, another on my Windows 10 computer they regularly show as at this moment that channel 11 is free of other signals/users whereas channels 1 and 6 have several signals/users.

3. My Windows 10 computer and Wi-fi printer which are upstairs work best when I select channel 11.

4. The Windows 10 anyliser  shows 100% signal whereas for channels 1 and 6 only 90%. I have now been analysing these signals for quite sometime and come to the conclusion that channel 11 is best for my network.

4. Why when I set to channel 11, not auto, does the hub still automatically change channels?

Community Team

Hi

Other wifi broadcasts around you will also be detected by the router - we can retrieve this information so can see a list of other SSID's broadcasting and which channel they are using.

Our monitoring software will look closely at wifi latency and interference patterns, not just from other wifi signals, but interference can come from other sources such as electrical devices, radio transmissions etc.  All these are taken into account but wifi analysers will only show available SSID broadcasts and would not detect this impact.

We are meeting with a network colleague later this week who oversees the assia project and will be discussing this and other issues with him so we have a more clear idea of how to take things forward.

Thanks

Karl. 

Giraffe
Wise Owl

Hi Karl.

So from my understanding of your latest reply I will just have to put up with the auto channel changes and if I want to gain the benefits I have found upstairs from my wi-fi set on channel 11  I  will just have keep resetting  my hub?

I can only conclude for now that the TalkTalk Wi-fi Hub is clearly not all its cracked up to be as in my case it is not providing the optimum/best performing service for my home network.

Community Team

Hi

These are the questions we are looking to address.  We have raised our concerns and made recommendations to see if the system can be changed or amended to allow for manual settings.

We have also discussed the option of turning the optimisation function off and adding a device to a whitelist so that the software will not affect any customers that do not want it active.

Our contact has looked at all these possibilities and has arranged a meeting with us to discuss fully, so we hope to agree a more positive way forward for you and other customers that may wish to only set a static wifi channel.

Thanks

Karl. 

Giraffe
Wise Owl
Thanks Karl for this undated. We wait to see the outcome of your discussions.
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Hi @OCE_Karl 

Those two possible changes sound very positive because I’m convinced the Hub’s WiFi Management System is just a little too sensitive for its own good, it appears to be making too many changes in a short space of time that results in devices being kicked off or delays when they try to reconnecting.

A manual option would obviously get around that issue but making it less sensitive or “less proactive” might also improve things.

The real surprise in my home network is that the old HG633 now does a better device management job than the Hub on current firmware, and that can’t be right or even what was intended!

Floopyzebra
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Karl 

Oh yes, please DO turn the optimization off, I swear it is the cause of all my problems.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Wifi-keeps-dropping-and-I-have-tried-EVERYTHING/...

What goes around, comes around
Community Team

Hi

We should have further updates on Friday.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
fireflash
First Timer

I am also having this problem that has been on going since I had fibre put in , I have had a new router , but still is doing even now having the router hard wired to the computer , I was supposed to have a network team to look at it by even after I have phoned every week for the last 3 months it is no better , What i find strange is that it drops out at a certain time on the hour i.e 050 for around 3mins. this can be at any hour,s . Why when you phone you never speak to the same person and even though the call has been supposedly logged , you still have to go through the same routine which you know is a waste of time , will it ever be resolved

John

Community Team

Hi @fireflash

Please can you create a new thread, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Floopyzebra
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Debbie 

Sounds good, I will be anxiously awaiting the outcome. If you do decide to turn off the optimization, please put me down for being turned off. Thanks.

What goes around, comes around