Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wi-fi Optimisation

ANSWERED
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Popular Poster
Good afternoon,

I set up a TalkTalk Wi-fi Hub last night/this afternoon and things are working largely as I want, but I've noticed that the Wi-fi channels I set manually have changed a few times. From other threads it seems this could be due to the Wi-fi optimisation technology, which I would rather avoid. Could this be disabled please?

Thank you
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi semicerchi,

Is the wifi optimisation causing any problems as it designed to provide a more stable wifi connection throughout your home so really wifi performance should be better with it enabled?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi, I just saw this sorry!

Yes, a couple of problems.

When the 2.4GHz channel changes it disconnects an extender I'm using (as well as the devices attached to it) and the extender doesn't always reconnect automatically. I manually set it to channel 11 because scans show this is clear, but it likes to change to channel 1, which has several networks broadcasting.

I also set the 5GHz channel to 56 to keep it away from a separate 5GHz network Sky Q uses to share with a Mini, but the Hub occasionally changes this to 44 so there is a direct overlap. Having the channels even adjacent to each other and downloading something at full speed can affect the sound (I still have no idea why), so I'd rather keep them apart.

Highlighted

OK I've disabled optimisation for you, please let us know if you need any further assistance 

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

It happened once earlier this evening, but I restarted the Hub and everything has been fine since then.

Thanks so much

edit: Perhaps not - just after I posted this, they changed again!

Highlighted

Hi semicherchi, optimisation is still turned off. Both current channels are showing as congested. It might be worth trying different channels to maintain stability.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Thanks both of you.

The 2.4GHz band has been stable apart from one channel hop in the log yesterday morning, hopefully that won't be a problem any more. Unfortunately channels 1 and 6 seem like even worse options (there seem to be so many BT Hubs around here!), but I think I'll try 6 if it hops again.

I will keep an eye on the 5GHz because that changed this morning but it is a smaller issue. Wondering if it's related to DFS.

Highlighted

Hi semicerchi,

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

It changes channels less frequently now, but it's still doing it 😅

18.02.2020 04:13:56InfoWIFI
Channel: (1/6) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated
18.02.2020 04:04:50InfoWIFI
Channel: (6/1) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated
18.02.2020 04:04:50InfoWIFI
Channel: (52/48) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

The Hub really seemed to like channel 1, so I just let it stay on 1 after it switched again and after restarting the extender (which I think is the only 2.4 device that doesn't reconnect after a channel hop) the connection for everyone was fine in terms of speed and stability for a couple of days, then it suddenly switched to 6.

5GHz: It was stable on 52, before it switched to 48.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi semicerchi

Apologies, the channel should not be changing as the Wi-Fi optimisation has been switched off for your line.

Have you recently made changes to the wireless channels/settings?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie,

I'm surprised it's still happening but quite interested to find out why!

The last change I personally made to the Wi-Fi settings was on Monday evening - I switched the 5GHz to 52.

Incidentally, there are a number of log entries that say "WiFi security settings have been successfully saved" at different times during the day - I don't know what they mean or if they are relevant - but they were not caused by me.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi semicerchi,

I don't know why the channel is still changing occasionally, is your connection generally stable now?

Chris

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi again Chris,

Yes, it is quite stable at the moment. Hopefully it stops changing channels eventually. 

I just noticed that I couldn't access any LAN pages from this laptop while connected by Wi-Fi (like the printer information & extender status pages, even the Hub login page would only work from one browser, strangely) but a restart of the Hub sorted that out.

Thanks for your help

Highlighted
Popular Poster

A tiny observation: the timing of the channel hops over the last few days has been interesting, almost as if scheduled.

23.02.2020 04:04:22

Info

WIFI

22.02.2020 04:04:42

Info

WIFI

21.02.2020 04:04:16

Info

WIFI

18.02.2020 04:04:50

Info

WIFI

16.02.2020 04:04:34

Info

WIFI

Channel: (52/36) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

15.02.2020 05:00:46

Info

WIFI

14.02.2020 04:04:05

Info

WIFI

13.02.2020 18:52:12

Info

WIFI

Channel: (56/36) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

Highlighted

Hi

I've made a change to a router setting, can you reboot the router ans see how the wifi behaves,

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Popular Poster

I have just seen this post and rebooted.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi semicerchi

Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Good morning,

It seems like both channels have become more unstable since I rebooted on Tuesday, sadly. The 2.4GHz channel stayed on 6 for a long time and was working well, then changed suddenly on Thursday night, then back a few hours later.

The 5GHz stayed on 52 for more than a day after I changed it on the 27th, which was an improvement! Then it changed again on the 28th. Currently trying channel 60.

I was away for the weekend and was surprised to see it alternating between 40 and 48 when there was no-one here (though I cannot see any log entries for yesterday).

29.02.2020 01:25:36

Info

WIFI

Channel: (40/48) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

29.02.2020 00:05:31

Info

WIFI

28.02.2020 15:05:27

Info

WIFI

Channel: (48/40) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

28.02.2020 04:04:28

Info

WIFI

Channel: (1/6) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

28.02.2020 04:04:28

Info

WIFI

27.02.2020 21:35:45

Info

WIFI

26.02.2020 04:04:32

Info

WIFI

Highlighted
Solution

Hi

The optimisation was still being triggered so I've had this fully turned off now so this should help.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Things have been super stable since your last change, thanks so much!