Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wi-fi dropout

60 REPLIES 60
Dustym
Team Player

Hi, new here and my first post, so apologies if I get something wrong !

OK.... I have noticed that my Wi-Fi drops out at exactly the same time every week, Sunday at midnight for exactly an hour (as far as I can tell). I have no idea why and do find it a bit inconvenient..... anyone experienced the same ? Or can someone help rectify this issue ?

Many Thanks

Paul. 

Community Team

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service. Do the lights change on your router when the connection drops?

Chris

Dustym
Team Player

Hi

Thanks for responding.  No they don't.  I have tried restarting the router and it shows the single white light after restart. I look at the wifi connection on my laptop and it says "connected" but this is the screen I get when I browse....

IMG_0980.jpg

I lose wifi on my phone too, so not a laptop issue.......

Community Team

OK thanks.

Is it only devices connected to the router by Wifi that are affected? Do you have any devices connected by Ethernet cable?

Does the connection always drop at midnight on a Sunday? Are you always on line at that time?

I've run a line test, hasn't picked up any issues and isn't showing any disconnections for at least 14 days 

Chris

Dustym
Team Player

Hi Chris, yes, it would seem so... but I do not have any devices connected by Ethernet cable.

That's the odd thing, when I check the connection on my laptop is says connected but I can only get the screen I posted. 

Yes, always Sunday and always midnight for an hour.  I'm not always online then, but often I am and have been last 3 weekends....This has only happened since I moved house end of January and was reconnected in mid February ....

Community Team

OK, so you experience the issue on your laptop, have you checked any other devices (mobile, tablet etc) at the time that you lose internet connectivity on the laptop, to see if they also have the same issue?

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

If you have the HG633, HG635, DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they are dual-band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and if the HG635 a password of "admin" as well, or if the HG633, DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633/635 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the HG633 (V2.00), DSL-3782 (V1.10) and the TalkTalk Home Hub. To use this leave both network names identical and on the HG633 enable Band Steering from the initial Wi-Fi menu.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Dustym
Team Player

Yes, I lose wi-fi on my mobile at the same time..... as below..... I also lose connectivity on my PS4 but don't have a screenshot of that....IMG_0981.PNG

Dustym
Team Player

Keith

Thank You... just odd it happens at the same day and time, for the same length of time every week. Would "interference" cause this.... ? 

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

It could do if something happens then, the only way to find out is via a wifi analyser (basically this is the subject of the last two paragraphs of my previous post).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Dustym
Team Player

Thanks Keith.  I'll follow those instructions and get back to you by posting here.

Community Team

Hi Dustym

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Dustym
Team Player

Morning Debbie

Thanks for responding.

I've followed Keith's suggestion in renaming the WiFi band with "5G" and have now attached both my Laptop and iphone to that band ...... I was wondering what to do next ?  Do I wait until midnight Sunday and see if the dropout happens again or should I be running some sort of wifi analytics as mentioned by Keith ? 

Community Team

Hi Dustym,

You can do both, check to see if splitting the channels resolves the Sunday night issue and try running the wifi analyzer at the time that you experience the issue and at a time when it's OK and compare the two results

Chris

Dustym
Team Player

Morning Chris

sorry if this is a silly question..... but how do I run the wi-fi analyser ? Does someone need to send it to me or can I find it somewhere ?

Keith mentioned he can send it if requested..... Keith, can I request it please ? 🙂

Cheers Paul.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Dustym 

Yes  I did. I will send it to you this afternoon.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Community Team

Hi Dustym,

I can see Keith is helping so I've leave you in his capable hands 🙂

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Dustym 

Thanks for the screenshots, I think I can see the problem. There is currently a hidden network on the same channel as you, it is also over very similar signal strength. This is most likely going to drown your signal out from time to time.

Please can you try moving the router to channel 11 & see how that goes? If you still have problems, please can you PM me a new set of screenshots?

Thanks.

Keith

Dustym
Team Player

Keith

Thank you very much for your help.... I'll change the channel to 11 as suggested and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Paul.