Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wi-fi dropout

Dustym
Team Player

Hi

I've changed the 2.4ghz channel to 11, but the 5ghz channel only had options 44 to 48 so I picked 48.... hope that is ok ?

Thanks

Paul

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Dustym 

That sounds like you are on firmware SG4K10001E00t  which does restrict the channels in the 5GHz band. This is fixed in 2600, but that is only a trial firmware, so is not on general release. To my knowledge (based on what the developers have announced) there are no firmware updates that improve WiFi performance. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Dustym 

I can update your router firmware, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Dustym
Team Player

Morning Debbie

Thank You, and yes if it would be advantageous to me please kindly arrange for my router firmware to be updated.

Kind Regards

Paul.

Community Team

Hi Paul

I've now updated your router firmware 🙂

Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Paul

How has the connection been since the firmware update?

Thanks

Debbie

Dustym
Team Player

Morning Debbie

I've not noticed any problems.... but the issue in question only seems to happen at midnight Sunday so I will report back Monday morning, hopefully positively ! 🙂

Thanks

Paul.

Community Team

Morning Paul

Ok no problem, hopefully this has resolved the issue.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Dustym
Team Player

Hi Debbie, Chris and Keith

Disappointed to report that my wi-fi dropped out at  midnight Sunday for exactly an hour, just as before, so no change following changing the channels / installation of updated Firmware 😞

screen.PNGI have taken screen shots of the analysis from Acrylic whilst the wi-fi was not working.......

Thanks

Paul

Community Team

Hi Paul

I'm sorry to hear this.

Have you tested with a different router? (different make and model)

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Dustym 

Did you want to let me see the screenshots?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Dustym
Team Player

Hi Keith

That would be very kind thank you 🙂 ...... I didn't want to presume.

I'll pm you.

Thanks

Paul.

Dustym
Team Player

Hi Debbie

No, I don't have an alternative router.

Keith has offered to analyse my Acrylic output so hopefully that will show up the issue......

Kind Regards

Paul.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Dustym 

The problem with Wi-Fi when there are quite a few networks, a particular channel that was thought to be good in the past, may not always be the best channel. Currently, 11 is the worst channel you can be on, 6 is better now.

If you are still using the hub with firmware 2600, you might be better setting the channel allocation to Auto. Unlike older TT routers, Auto not only scans the channels on power up as they all do, but also performs periodic scans & will move you to a better channel if one is available.

Keith

Dustym
Team Player

Hi @KeithFrench 

Thanks.  I believe that I am using firmware 2600 so I will change the channel selection to "Auto" for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

I'll report back next Monday morning ......

Cheers

Paul.

Dustym
Team Player

Hi @KeithFrench

Hope you had a great Easter Break 🙂

Sorry to say that the same "dropout" occurred on Sunday at midnight thru to 01:00am Monday

I set the channel selection to "Auto" for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands as suggested but this did not seem to help.  

I took some Acrylic analysis screen shots, could I send them to you for review ?

Many Thanks

Paul.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please do.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the screenshots. During the time period when you lost the network, the WiFi signal from the router was fine, indicating that the problem is not WiFi related. 

The best thing for me to do is to pass this back for the OCEs to deal with.

Keith

Community Team

Hi

This is a difficult one, all tests are fine, nothing stands out.  No retrains are showing on the fibre side, so not picking up any physical drops from the router.

Our network tool is showing a lot of wifi congestion across most bands, but I'm unable to see any physical issues with the network or connection to the router.

Karl.

Dustym
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Karl 

Thank for your reply.

with the help of @KeithFrench we have established that the Wi-Fi signal itself does not "drop-out" so perhaps my thread description is misleading. 

The issue is however that every Sunday at midnight for exactly 1 hour, all my wi-fi connected devices stop "working" i.e I can not browse on my laptop / phone and my connected TV's "lose" their connection and I am unable to play online on my PS4.  So clearly this is a wi-fi related issue.  I attach the screen shot from my laptop when I try and browse between midnight Sunday and 01.00am

Error%20Page.jpg

It appears to relate to "TLS Security" whatever that might be !

Any help resolving this issue will be gratefully received !

Cheers

Paul.