Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi Hub Firmware update needed

10 REPLIES 10
Team Player

Hi

I set my Wifi Hub up yesterday (Tuesday). The firmware is 1400t and from reading posts here, I believe it needs to be 2600t.

Please could you arrange for the firmware to be updated to 2600t.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best wishes.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Theambler

I've checked and I can see that your router has now updated to firmware version 2600t.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly - I really appreciate it! 😊 I have a few more questions which I am hoping you can help me with please Debbie (sorry about the list!):

(1) Did you need to force the update 2600t through, or did the wi fi hub do it automatically?

(2) Is 2600t the latest firmware update for the wi fi hub?

(3) When is the next firmware update due to be released, so that I can keep an eye out and make sure the wi fi hub automatically updates?

(4) Now that the firmware has updated to 2600t, do I need to reset the wi fi hub by unplugging it for a period of time?

(5) I have noticed that in the Advanced configuration settings tab of the  wi fi hub for 5GHZ, the bandwidth defaults to 80 mhz. Is this correct or should it be set to Auto so it picks up 20, 40 and 80 mhz? 

(6) The download speed I am getting on the wi fi hub is a few meg slower than I used to get on the old router. Why is this and will it increase over time, and if so how long should it take to increase back to the speed I used to get on my old router?

(7) The wi fi hub is not automatically swapping from 5ghz (which is what I get downstairs on my laptop close to the router as expected) to 2.4 ghz  when the laptop moves upstairs further from the wi fi hub, as it used to on the old router. It remains on 5ghz on the laptop both downstairs and upstairs, irrespective of how far my laptop is from the wi fi hub. This is not a problem and I don't want you to remotely reset anything, but I was just wondering if there is a reason for this?

Thanks once again for all your help Debbie and sorry for the list of questions!!!

Cheers

Theambler. 😊

Hi

We did force the update via our network tool.

2600t is the very latest firmware version.  We hope to have news on the next release soon.

You do not need to reset the hub.

You can set the bandwidth to 80Mhz or Auto, I usually set mine to 80 🙂

Different routers with a different chipset can negotiate a varying sync speed, but this can increase over time based on line performance.

If the Hub is not automatically switching between the two channels, bandswitching may not be enabled. This is something that is being trialled via a new network tool we have here, so may not always be enabled for all at the moment.

Hope that answers your questions.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Team Player

Hi Karl

Thank you for such a quick reply – much appreciated! 😊 Was hoping you could clarify a few things for me please (again sorry, bit of a list!):

(1) I was wondering why you had to force the update through and the wi fi hub did not update automatically?

(2) Will this mean that the wi fi hub will not update with the latest firmware updates automatically in the future and I will need to contact you to force the updates through each time?

(3) Where will I read about when the next firmware update is due to be released and what it is called?

(4) I know you said you hope to have news on the next firmware release soon, but do you have any idea of timescales at this stage?

(5) What are the advantages in setting the bandwidth for 5Ghz to 80 Mhz rather than Auto (as this would also pick up 20 and 40 Mhz as well)?

(6) In terms of the download speed, will it increase by itself over time and how long is it likely to take to get back the speed I used to get on my old router?

(7) In terms of the wi fi hub not switching between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, is there anyway I can tell if band switching is enabled on my Hub if I look in the settings on my Hub? Or is this something you would be able to ascertain from your side? Like I mentioned in my previous post Karl, please do not remotely reset or change any settings for my Hub your side as the laptop works perfectly fine on 5Ghz upstairs and I prefer to work on 5Ghz – I am just curious to know whether band switching is enabled on my Hub, that’s all.

(8) If band switching is not enabled on my Hub, do you have any idea how and when this would be rolled out to all – would this be through a firmware update, and what timescales are we looking at for this?

Thanks once again for all your help Karl and I look forward to hearing back from you. 😊

All the best

Theambler

Hi Theambler,

I'll answer your questions below,

I'm not sure why the hub didn't automatically update as this should update to the latest version after the router has been rebooted.

Hopefully the router will automatically update once the new firmware has been released, once it's available you could also try rebooting the router once to see if the router updates.

At the moment we don't know the specific number of the new firmware and we don't usually provide any details in advance before the firmware is released. (following testing)

Unfortunately we don't have specific timescales as yet and it will be tested soon.

If the connection remains stable then DLM should hopefully increase the sync speed over a 24-48hr period.

Band switching is not currently enabled and is still being trialled, no timescales at present.

Thanks

Philosopher

Regarding your band switching issue, your device will only change between SSIDs when one drops below a certain threshold.

It's a device issue, not the router.

Martin
Team Player

Hi Michelle and Martin

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. 😊 I am hoping you can clear a few things up for me both please. I have put the questions into one post, with your names next to the relevant questions - just 1 question for you Martin and a few more for you Michelle (sorry!):

Michelle:

(1) I totally understand you can’t release details of the Hub’s new firmware update until it has been tested. Once this has happened and it has been released, where will I found out from that it has been released and its number so I can check if my Hub has automatically updated? Is there a specific webpage I can go to that contains this information and if so, can you send me the link please.

(2) What are the advantages in setting the bandwidth for 5Ghz to 80 Mhz, as Karl says he has his Hub set at 80 Mhz for 5Ghz, rather than Auto (as this would also pick up 20 and 40 Mhz as well)?

(3) When you say band switching is not currently enabled on the Hub, is that just on my Hub or for everyone with a Hub as Karl’s previous post seems to imply some people with a Hub have it and some don’t?

(4) When band switching is enabled, how will this be rolled out – will it be through a firmware update?

(5) How would Hub holders be notified when band switching is enabled – is there a link you could send me please that says what is included in each of the firmware updates (assuming it is rolled out via a firmware update)?

(6) I am just wondering why my old router (D Link 3782) used to contain band switching and the Hub does not? It’s not an issue for me, just curious that’s all.

Martin

With my old router (D Link 3782), my laptop used to switch between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz depending on how close I was to the router – 5Ghz for close proximity and 2.4 Ghz for further away, which is what I would expect. You say that this a device issue, not the router. I was therefore wondering why the same laptop, using the Hub, does not switch from 5 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz the further I move away from the Hub?

Thanks again both for your help and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 😊

All the best

Theambler

Hi

We are waiting on news of the new firmware release date and hope to start alpha trials internally later this month.  The new version is currently planned to be labeled as V2800t.

There is no advantage to having the bandwidth set at 80 as opposed to Auto, for me I only have 2 devices on 5Ghz and these are new devices.  Some older 5Ghz compatible devices may work better with 20/40 so if you have a mixture of devices, better to keep to auto for the bandwidth.

Bandswitching for the Hub has been disabled in the last firmware as this is currently managed instead by a new network monitoring system. This has been in trial but results have been very positive so this will soon roll out to all customers.  We do have the option to enable optimisation for your connection if you want to give it a try.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Team Player

Hi Karl

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly – much appreciated. 😊 Am hoping you could clear up a few points for me please – thank you as always :

(1) Thanks for the info on the proposed firmware update release in the future. When it is released though, where will I found out from that it has been released so I can check if my Hub has automatically updated? Is there a specific webpage I can go to that contains this information and if so, can you send me the link please?

(2) I too am like you Karl – I only have 2 devices that are on 5Ghz and both seem to be working well on 80Mhz, so am more than happy to leave it on 80 which was the default anyway. (i) Is it that new devices tend to work better on 80 and older devices better on 20 or 40? And (ii) by new, I mean my devices are about 4 years old (which isn’t that new I know). Would 4 year old devices (laptop and TV) work better on 80 or 20/40 on 5Ghz?

(3) Re bandswitching, could you please explain how the new network monitoring system works and how this is different to the router controlling the bandswitching as I am a little unclear. Thanks.

(4) No, I am ok  thanks Karl – please do not remotely reset or change any settings for my Hub your side or enable optimisation for my connection – please leave everything as they are as everything is working fine.

(5) When the network monitoring system is rolled out to all customers, will this be through a firmware update, and will it replace bandswitching?

(6) Also, how would Hub holders be notified when the network monitoring system has been rolled out – is there a link you could send me please that says what is included in each of the firmware updates (assuming it is rolled out via a firmware update)?

(7) The Hub has been set up for a few days now and DLM has still not increased the sync speed back to what I used to get with the D Link router – I am still getting about 2 meg less than I used to in the download speed. Why does the Hub not offer the same download speed as the D Link router used to?

Thanks for all your help Karl and I look forward to hearing back from you. 😊

Cheers

Theambler.

Hi

1. There is no webpage or specific link, when the device teams start the rollout of firmware, this is done silently and the only way to check if the router has updated is to log in and it should show the current firmware version.  2800t will be the later firmware.

2. If you have older devices that are 5Ghz compatible but are unsure if the will work better on 40 or 80Mhz you can set this to Auto so that the device connected can be allocated the best bandwidth frequency for performance.

3. The new network tool we are using will actively monitor all customer connections that are using the new Hub and when optimisation is active they will monitor wifi performance and also monitor for any interferance on each channel and if detected, can switch the channel to one that is less congested. If a device is capable of both 2 & 5Ghz, they will switch the band when the device is moving around if it detects issues connecting to the device or increase in errors etc.

4.  I wont change anything 🙂

5. The network monitoring tool is already active for all customers with the Wifi Hub.  Only optimisation is active for a minority under testing. This does not need to be rolled out as the required component was introduced a few firmware versions ago.

6. Customers would not be notified if optimisation is turned on.  The purpose of optimisation is to quietly make improvements in the background.

7. The Hub has a different Chipset than the Dlink so may negotiate the connection handshake at a different rate.  When switching over to the Hub myself from a Huawei I did initially have a drop of about 5mb that lasted for about 10 days before the connection picked up and the speed increased.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips