Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi Hub Visibilty

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi,

On previous routers I have owned I used to turn off the SSID broadcast. Thus requiring any new connection to be made by knowing and entering the actual network name and password etc. When doing this on the WIFI hub all my previously connected devices fail to stay connected and the network cannot even be found by entering the network name etc. It is as though by unchecking the visibility box the network just turns off.

Has anyone had similar?

Many thanks 

Highlighted
Problem Solver

It could possibly be a router fault or it could just be a bug with the 5364. The wifi hub firmware is very much a work in progress so check you have the latest which I believe ends 2600T. If you don't then I'm sure one of the OCEs will push an update for you. That may or may not help. @KeithFrench is pretty well up to speed on firmware so maybe he can give some more definitive advice.

On a different note if you are hiding your SSID as as security thing then it's pointless because hiding the SSID hides the network name not the actual network.

If I remember correctly then the command netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid in windows command prompt will show all available networks. From a security point of view if you are worried about someone hacking your wifi then to even try they will be well beyond the windows command line commands.

Your best defence is using very long passwords with special characters and no real words or dates etc. And turn WPS off as a precaution too.

Fritz 

Highlighted
First Timer

Many thanks for your advice. I wasn't aware it was that easy to discover hidden networks. It was something I'd always done, but probably not worth it as you say. I'll certainly do as you suggest with the PW and WPS though.

Thanks again

WGB

Highlighted
Problem Solver

You are very welcome, just remember to keep a note of that long complicated password because if you forget it then you're into a factory reset and have to set it all up again.

Fritz 

Highlighted
Community Star

It is a myth to think your network is hidden, it is still there, it is just that it does not display its name. In these days this offers no extra degree of security, your best bet is always a strong WiFi password.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?