Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi Hub connection issues

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Participant

A few weeks ago, I got the WiFi Hub - much better range and speed. However, the problem is certain devices keep being disconnected (i.e. "connected but no internet"). For the PC, I can reconnect by running some command prompts.

This happens for a desktop PC, mobile phones (over WiFi) and also for wired devices (such as TV). Is there potentially a fault with the router??

Highlighted
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi soapster

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. Do you reboot the router when you experience this issue?

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie

I think that's the point - there are no line issues, I think the issue is with the router. Various devices (wired and wireless) remain "connected" but no internet access.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I think trying a new router sounds like the best plan. I've also logged this via live chat and thought same conclusion was reached - but nothing was sent.

Highlighted

Hi soapster,

I can't send a router at the moment due to a system issue but I'll try again later

Chris

Highlighted

Hi soapster,

I can now see that a router has already been ordered. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Chris

Unfortunately I'm having the same issues with the new router - the TV / Sky box (connected via ethernet cable) frequently need resetting. The home PC (which gets pretty strong WiFi signal) often drops the connection (i.e. remains connected but no internet).

I'm at a loss as to what to try next - ideas welcome.

Highlighted

Hi soapster,

I'm sorry to hear this. Is the replacement router the same make and model as the original router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Michelle

Yes - it looks to be the exact same model router (the WiFi Hub model). At least it came in the same box...!

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi soapster,

Ok, would you like to try a HG633 router instead to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Michelle

That's the router I already had - the range and speed were not as good....

I'd previously complained about how much the speed dropped off on that router being only 10 feet away from it! 

Highlighted

Hi soapster,

Sorry for the delay. Could you run a speed test using the TalkTalk Speed Tester so we can see the current throughput speed as I can't see any recent speed test results to compare this to the sync speed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Michelle

Just done that now - let me know what else you need...

Highlighted

Hi soapster

I'm really sorry for the delay.

Did you run the speed test using the TT speed tester? The last test I can see was in 2018?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie

Do you mean this speed test? https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/

I don't see how to run it from "within" my account - but I've run it a couple of times.

Let me know what I need to do...

Highlighted

Hi soapster

This help page provides further information Run a broadband speed test

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie

That's the test I've run - earlier this week and again just now....

Highlighted
Participant

Just to add to this - if I check my address on your website I get this message:

"Great news, you can get speeds up to 67Mb"

All I can say to that is "yeah right" - I never get speeds anywhere near this despite already being on the package being offered.

Highlighted

Hi soapster,

Do all your devices intermittently get disconnected? Can you lose connection on one device while another device works OK?

Do you lose connection after a period of inactivity or do you lose connection while actively using the connection (streaming for instance)?

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Chris

I'd say "most" devices get disconnected (a tablet doesn't seem to have problems...). Items we have connected:

- TV / SkyQ box / TalkTalk TV box - these are all wired connections and the connection often needs resetting

- Phones - an iPhone seems to be trouble free but 3 other phones in the house are often "connected but no internet". Usually after having been out of the house and come back

- Desktop PC / laptop - these often are "connected but no internet" so I end up resetting / flushing the DNS info

- Tablets (x2) - one is generally fine, the other we've had problems with but has been stable for many days

So I can't really see what the pattern is! The PC has often disconnected whilst in use. The others I'd say have been disconnected when "dormant" (not being used).

Thanks