Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi Hub - static IP addresses

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @philipacklam

Really you should create your own thread, but in case this is a quick answer, please can you elaborate on what you mean exactly?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Branta
Conversation Starter

When the firmware does gets its first upgrade ....... where will this be announced ?  I'm assuming that the upgrade will be by stealth for those who have it connected.

But for those who won't (or can't) use it until these issues are fixed, they won't know when to put it back into use to get the upgrade unless there is an announcement !

Branta
Conversation Starter

I just learned that TT are looking for volunteers for a "Wi-Fi Hub firmware trial".  So release of next firmware revision is in the pipeline but certainly not imminent !

Actually this concept of customer volunteers signing up for a "trial" is more than a little reminiscent of something TT got me to sign up for a few years ago - that was about testing the recomended procedures for switching TT mobile from Vodafone to O2 - and look what happened to that !

KeithFrench
Community Star

Surely @Branta it makes good sense to try it on a few customers before rolling out to everyone. You do not have to take part in the trial if you don't want to.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Branta
Conversation Starter

Yes Keith, of course it makes perfect sense - as did the previous "proposed trial" to which I referred (although that turned out to be just part of an embarrassing dead-end that TT steered themselves into for a few years).

My reason for mentioning it was because, if they are only just now at the stage of selecting the trial "panel", then it suggests the customer base in general can expect to wait a while longer for this update.

AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor

@Branta wrote:

Yes Keith, of course it makes perfect sense - as did the previous "proposed trial" to which I referred (although that turned out to be just part of an embarrassing dead-end that TT steered themselves into for a few years).

My reason for mentioning it was because, if they are only just now at the stage of selecting the trial "panel", then it suggests the customer base in general can expect to wait a while longer for this update.

Be thankful that you're not waiting for the 3782 firmware update - 18 months and counting!

KeithFrench
Community Star

All I can say @Branta is that I have been told that DHCP Resrved IP addresses will be in the forthcoming firmware update.

Keith

Aberfoyle
First Timer

THanks for pushing this, Keith.  It's really annoying: several months ago, I was able to assign static addresses and did so but when I tried to so a few more last week, I found that  the software had been changed (to something pretty simplistic and therefore of not much use) and I could no longer do so.  When the new software is available, will it be pushed automatically, do you know?  If not, how will one know it's available?

CookieUnicorn85
Team Player

I received the Wifi Hub today and to be fair, its pretty decent but the user interface is completely Fisher Price.  I think it may be targetted at the iOS generation (not a compliment). 

I appreciate that 99.9% of TT customers don't even know about the Web UI or advanced settings but it seems somewhat remiss that a router touted at £120 does not have something as simple as static IP address support.

For most devices, it doesn't really matter but more and more people are having NAS boxes and Media Centre PC's which would need static IP.

Luckily, my NAS is OMV so I set a static address upon installation but need to know the router won't give the address away if the NAS needs a reboot.

My other issue is that you can no longer see a detailed list of devices connected to the router.  You can see a little bit but nothing that helps proper network management.

TalkTalk needs to keep these features within the advanced tab because those who don't need them will unlikely go into the settings and those who do need them are knowledgeable enough to use them. 

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @CookieUnicorn85

This has all been raised with the developers by myself. The next firmware version is currently on customer trial.

If you any any other bugs or comments about the hub, please can you create your own thread? 
To do this, please go to the main page for the board in question & click the "Start a topic" button.

TalkTalk insists on one thread per problem per customer. Please note, TalkTalk makes the rules, not me.

If you then PM me with a link to the new thread, I will raise your issues with the developers on your behalf.

Thanks.

Keith

kev51773
First Timer

+1 For static/reserved addresses. This is an incredibly basic and completely necessary feature which has existed on every router I've owned in the last 15 years.

Having just received this router, I have to say it's very light on features. I'd suggest the following.

Rename normal mode to 'Complete idiot mode'

Rename 'Advanced Settings' to 'Basic Settings'

Add a new mode called 'Advanced Settings' to contain settings which could reasonably be described as advanced.

pixel6
First Timer

I'm new since yesterday with TT and the "powerful" Wifi-Hub, and I have found the same issue with the DHCP configuration to assign static IP... We have 2 NAS at home and printers that basically are a pain with dynamic IP.

I was trying to find a solution contacting 3 times with TT technical support and it looks that they have very poor knowledge about DHCP local configuration.

At the end, the conclusion with the 3 technical help, is that they don't support this and I can ONLY do it if I have a Business account. Really!!?

I can't understand how is possible this poor service, it looks that they don't any proper knowledge about their own routers or technical conversation.

omendata77
Popular Poster

Yip just started with Talktalk , just got my hands on the Wifi Hub and the DHCP is a pain on my network as I have over 30 devices and a lot of them need dhcp reservations.

Easy fix though - just switch off the dhcp server and keep the Virgin superhub to dole out ip addresses and send all the traffic to theWifi Hub!

Meganoodle71
First Timer

Another new talktalk customer dissapointed to find static ip assignment removed.

I have a home automation system that hinges on static ip addresses, so its all rendered usleles at present.

Meganoodle71
First Timer

Another new talktalk customer dissapointed to find  static IP assignment is not available.

It is essential for my home automation setup, which is currently useless.

I may have to replace the router for a decent version which goes against the grain when my previous provider had all these options available.

SeyaT
First Timer

Hi Megan,

Are you having trouble connecting to work servers outside of your home through talk talk wifi? I'm not technically savvy, but they say it's a direct link connection that the router seems to be blocking. Is that a similar thing to what you are experiencing? Very frustrating as I'm not unable to work from home.

robertkrzysik
Participant
Hi,
Apply button is not active when "invalid IP address" is displayed in the box.
I am having this issue too.
Second problem.
After changing IP for example to range 192.168.0.1, my phone(s) connected wirelessly on 5GHz won't connect to the internet.
Factory reset fixes the problem.
Branta
Conversation Starter

Don't I get a "first removed post" badge from the forum (in respect of my post in this thread last night that has been removed without trace) ?

smarkgee
Popular Poster
because this DHCP and IP address option is not possible it basically makes the router not compatible with (wired) Google WiFi...in case anyone is interested
ST2Michael
Popular Poster

Just had a ding-dong with some 'manager' at TalkTalk who, in spite of me saying I wanted to allocate fixed IP addresses within my home network, kept saying that TalkTalk only allocated dynamic addresses. Muppets. I'm only with them because they're cheaper than other providers, but their support is appalling.