Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi Hub wi fi problems

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Please anyone feel free to post your help.

Not had the hub long but noticed problems with phone saying its connected but no internet or it shows good signal but i still have no internet. Its a Huawei p8 lite 2017 running android 7. It works on other peoples wi fi and also if I turn the router off for 15 min and then back on then all is ok for a couple of weeks.

When I start having problems with that phone and start fiddling with the phone I then start having wi fi issues with a motorola G5s phone running android 8. 

It seems the Huawei picks up the issues first -- or just worse than the Moto.

I also have a samsung tab A 2019 on android 9 and that seems to also have issues but the thing is each device has the same problem but not at the same time as each other.  

Is it something to do with 2.4Hzs and 5 Hzs or channel switching.

As I understand it is not a good idea to keep turning the router off an on

Wired internet is all ok which is how my pc is connected

Highlighted
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks for the help I will try what you said a little later as I need to *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* out.

I do have a wifi analizer app on the phone and also netspot. I can see that on the 2.4 Hzh channel that there is another router on the same channel 1 that comes close to my signal.

I thought that the router was supposed to swap channels when this occurred.

What is happening when I turn it off for 15 min an then back on - how does that fix it, I last did this 9 days ago.  

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Ho COME ON ---I said I need to n i p out and it seems the auto politically correct engine changed it to *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* out -------pathetic

RANT OVER😆

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Ok I did that and connected one phone to the 5g one. So I can see I am on the 5g signal on that phone. I will have to get hold of the other phone later.

When you mentioned Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical.

Wasn't this how it was before I renamed the 5g signal ?. 

I can see with the netspot app that my routers 2.4Hzs is on channel 1 along with two other nearby routers with one in particular being quite strong.

Can I change the router channel to something else. --- I thought that the router did this automatically if it saw a nearby router ?   

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

For some reason my last post was marked as spam so here it is again.

Thanks for your help. I changed the name and connected the moto phone to that. I will need to get hold of the Huawei later.

When you said there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical.

Wasn't that how it was before I changed the name by adding 5g at the end.

Using the wifi analizer I can see there is a virgin meida close by that has a strong 2.4Hzs signal on the same channel 1 as my router, I thought that the hub was supposed to detect this and change the channel ? Do I have to do it manually in the router. ? 

How is it that turning the hub off for 15 mins fix the issue - at least for around 10 days.

My old router that the Hub replaced was the Echolife HG 520b which was fairly solid although was a weaker signal,

Highlighted
Community Star

Band steering or separating the SSIDs is personal preference.

I can't comment on anything else without seeing screenshots from your analyser.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@KeithFrenchThanks I will get some screenshots

Highlighted
Community Star

You'll be better on channel 6 on the 2.4Ghz band, as far as the 5GHz band, there was no screenshot for the 5GHz channel view in the PM you sent.

Keith

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Ok thanks I will give it a try. The 5Ghz seems to be much better so I only sent the 2.4

Still dont know why turning it off also fixes it. And also thought it was designed to auto change its channel if it was a crowded one

Highlighted
Community Star

To answer your second point, if the hub is running firmware version 2600 or greater, then part of the TT remote monitoring system is responsible for this, unless you have requested it to be disabled.

Keith

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Ok thanks.

Changing to channel 6 did not make any difference im afraid. Huawei connected but no internet. And Motorola says "disabled" when i try to connect to it when on 6

But I have found out part of the mystery is that the Huawei phone is only 2.4Ghz which is why that phone suffers as the other devices just use the 5Ghz instead. 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Odd thing - in the router settings I could see an iphone which we don't have ?. But when I turned the router off and back on the mysterious Iphone was gone and the wifi was working again as normal.

We do have friends and other family with apple stuff that connect but they are nowhere near. I tested to see if it was just a "legacy entry"  by turning our phone off, and sure enough the off phone went from the connected devices list.

Is it possible a neighbour has cracked our password somehow.

I might need to start a new thread for this 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Marvel,

How are you getting on? Do you still need any help with this?

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I am ok I think for now. Since I turned it off and on again all has been ok I don't know if it was anything to do with the mystery I phone or on reading other threads on here it seems the same issue - no matter what I do with the phone, forget wifi settings clear cashe turn off phone re connect to router with password and the phone still cycles through connected - no internet, not connected - password not recognised - connected no internet. But turn the router off for 15mins and back on and all is ok.

I have a wifi analizer that shows the 2.4Ghz signal is there and the router light is constant white.

I will monitor it to see if it happens again so far it has happened 2 times since November and only on the 2.4Ghz .   

Highlighted

Hi Marvel

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Happened today again at about 12 midday, everything was fine until then. Its only the 2.4Hz channel that is affected. There was no mystery Iphone this time, when I look at the wifi analiser the signal comes and gos but even when the signal is there the phone still says "connected no internet".  Nothing I try fixes it other than a turn off and on.   

Highlighted

Hi Marvel,

How has it been since your last post, has it happened again

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

All has been ok since I turned it off and on yesterday but that is the pattern - it stays ok for a few days, once for 9 days and the last time was for 6, before that it was weeks.

Seems to me that there are others people with similar symptoms.  

Highlighted

Hi Marvel

Would you like me to send a replacement WiFi Hub for testing to rule out any faults with your router?

Thanks

Debbie