Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi dropping at various times of the day

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Chatterbox

For a few weeks my WiFi connection has been dropping to all of my devices. Sometimes it comes back on itself or I need to switch the router off and on. There are times where this doesn’t help at all and I can be without WiFi for hours. I have tried the online chat on a few occasions but they are unable to solve the issue, testing the line and getting me to mess about with the master socket. I know there is no problem with the line to the house as I have a PC connected by Ethernet which is unaffected and I can still watch Netflix etc through the tv box which is also hard wired by Ethernet. I have followed the guide to try and resolve the dropping WiFi. I thought I had fixed it by manually selecting a WiFi channel but after a day the dropping started again. I have suggested on the online chat that maybe a new router could be sent. I was told last week that this was an option but to monitor the situation for a couple of days first. There was no improvement but when I contacted talk talk again they wanted to send an engineer. Can a new router be sent out in order to try and resolve this? As far as I am concerned there appears to be a router problem.

Highlighted
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

To enable me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

HG635

Highlighted
Community Star

The HG635 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and uses a default password of "admin", like so may older routers.

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I am not at home right now but can you send me the guide.

Highlighted
Community Star

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Ok will get it sorted later today

Highlighted
Community Star

I am not able to send you a PM, as your PM's are not enabled. I am waiting on TalkTalk to enable your PMs.

Keith

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Ok

Highlighted
Community Manager - TT Staff
done Keith

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @StephenF thanks for doing that.

Hi @well1991  I will PM you now.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Star

You problem affects both the 2.4 & 5GHz bands & is not caused by WiFi interference. If you look at any of the signal strength graphs that you have sent me, they should each be one continuous fairly straight line. Yours are nothing like that, they are breaking up all over the place. I would tend to think this is either electrical interference, location or possibly if a USB WiFi adapter, power management is affecting it.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Where USB is concerned, power management is best disabled if running in Windows to keep a Wi-Fi connection working at full speed. Once having made the changes outlined below, it is probably best to restart the PC.

To do this in Windows 10, right-click on the network icon in the Notification area & select Open Network & Internet settings. Then click on Change Adapter options. Next right click on the Wi-Fi adapter & select Properties. Click the Configure button.

Click on the Power Management tab & untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Keith

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Why has it only recently started happening when nothing has been changed regarding the set up or location of the router or any change to the surroundings? Everything has been fine up until a month or so ago with no issues since I have been with talktalk. I am having to restart my router on numerous occasions when previously I didn't have to touch it at all. To me the explanation doesn't make sense. Is there not any possibility of another router being sent for me to test?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi well1991,

I'm sorry for the delay. How you getting on?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Still getting drop in WiFi. I don't understand the explanation from Keith above. There have been no changes to my set up or any additional devices. I have been with talktalk for a few years with no problem and been very happy with the service. But since I took out a new contract earlier this year I've had constant drops in the WiFi signal. I would appreciate if a new router could be sent to at least test to see if this is a possible solution. My wife is currently working from home and needs reliable WiFi for video calls. If this can't get rectified I may need to look for another ISP.

Highlighted

Hi well1991,

I've ordered a replacement router, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery 

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Ok thanks

Highlighted
Highlighted
Chatterbox

An update on the wifi issues.

I received the new router on Wed 9th Sep and got it set up straight away with no issues.

There has been no problem with the wifi until tonight, Fri 18th Sep.

We had wifi dropping on a number of devices including mobiles, tablet and xbox one.

The router was switched on and off which has currently resolved the above. 

Hopefully this is a one off but will get back in contact if it persists.

Highlighted

Hi well1991

Apologies for the delay.

How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie