cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi dropping out intermittently

8 REPLIES 8
Popular Poster

Using a TalkTalk Huawei hg 655 router, been through on line chat with TalkTalk doing the usual checks but not identifying any faults still WiFi continues to drop out. Have asked if a replacement router could be sent out to no avail, please could one be sent to rule out this old router.

Andy
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The HG635 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the current router password.

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Popular Poster

Thanks Keith. Have already split the two ssid's & no new devices have been added to my network. All wired connections drop connection too, this leads me to think it’s a router problem. The problem started around a month ago and has persisted which is why I believe it to be related to my old router. Ruling this out with another router would help to pin point. Had a similar experience with a netgear router some years ago.

Andy
Community Star

In that case, it may well be a router or a line problem. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Popular Poster

Hi Keith,

Have not been contacted by TalkTalk yet & router has now intermittently stopped transmitting 2.4ghz ssid, any idea when they may be in touch?

Andy
Community Star

@smithi67, there tends to be a backlog after the weekend and, although it's been escalated,  further posting will push your thread back again in the workflow. 

It's best not to post further till you get a response from an OCE. They will reply on here in the forum. 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi smithi67

Apologies for the delay.

I've ordered you a replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Popular Poster

Hi,

New router set up & no problems at the moment, thanks for your help.

Andy
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi smithi67

That's great news 🙂  Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie