would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi hub IP profile

ANSWERED
4 REPLIES 4
DonGill
First Timer

IP profile stands for Internet Protocol profile and should be a guide to the maximum speeds you see when performing a speed test.

If I login to my Wifi Hub I am given a download speed and an upload speed which I assume to be speeds at which my broadband is throttled. Speed tests show I am close to but below the download speed BUT I am invariably much higher than the upload speed! What is going on here?

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

You are not quite correct in your assumptions.

The IP profile has nothing to do with speedtest results at all. It is the way that the router's sync speed or downstream line rate is kept at the highest possible speed, without becoming unstable.

This speed is nothing to do with any perceived throttling either.

You speed test in the download direction will always be less than the router's downstream line rate and could be anything up to 20% less. Your connection type from your device to the router can play a major part in this, particularly if wireless. It is not uncommon to see the upload speed test being a bit higher than the router's upstream line rate though, this can be down to inaccuracies in some speed testers.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

DonGill
First Timer

Keith,

Thank you for your reply. I perhaps used the wrong term 'throttle' when I meant not going above the speeds of the IP profile.

I am surprised you you say upload can be a bit higher when I get 15.64 Mbps against a profile value of 4.2 Mbps. I use Speedtest by Ooka as an app on my Windows 10 PC.

KeithFrench
Community Star

You didn't give any specifics before, yes I have seen it higher using exactly that app. Have you tried TalkTalk's speedtester:-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

This does give more believable results.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

DonGill
First Timer

Fascinating!

TalkTalk gave:

25.8 3.9

25.8 3.8

Ookla gave:

27.75 17.56 by PC app V1.1.23.1

25.69   3.88 by browser!

25.81 14.69 by PC app V1.6.108.0 (latest version)

The TalkTalk test page has at the bottom:

All trademarks of Ookla, LLC, including Speedtest®, are used under license.

There's a mystery! Pity that the TalkTalk test does not save results for you.