Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi 6 (802.11ax)

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I was mussing over getting a wifi 6 capable router just for the new oculus quest 2 as it supports that.  The router in question is the  D-Link DIR-X1860 EXO AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router.

Is there anyway of not having to plug in to the talk talk router?  I have to connected using rj11 and not rj45 so think i'll have to continue using the talk talk modem and turning off wifi on it.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any?

Highlighted
Philosopher

As no TT routers support modem-only mode, then your D-Link device can only be used as a Wireless Access Point if you connect it to the TT router.

You should connect the devices LAN to LAN and set the D-Link to Access Point mode if that is possible.

The other option is to buy a standalone modem and then use the D-Link to it's full potential.

Martin
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Thing is i can't see any modems with wifi6 that allow me to connect a rj11 connection from my phone line...
Highlighted
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Sorry, I meant one that combined a modem and wifi6.

Does any of the older talk talk modems allow modem only mode?
Highlighted
Community Star

Before considering spending money on anything, WiFi6, when the 802.11ax standard has a very short range & should be thought of as WiFi in the same room as the router, no further.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi ajg007,

I can see that you've had some help from Martin and Keith, please let us know if you need any further assistance 

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

I am also looking to upgrade my talktalk system to wifi 6 and didn't realise the talktalk router (SAGEMCOM 5364) cannot be set to modem only mode. But I have seen comments that wifi 6 routers will work by plugging their internet/WAN port into one of the TalkTalk routers wired ports.

Is this correct or would it be better to buy a wireless access point device (such as Netgear WAX610) for this purpose?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I managed to do it.
1. I connected via a normal port to a lan port on my TT router.  Powered on.
2. Waited until it booted. Used the wifi 6 routers sign in url address.
3. Did the quick setup wizard. Then found the I.P address that the TT router automatically assigned the new router and changed the new routers I.P to that. 

4. Reserved the I.P on the talk talk one.
5. Turned off DHCP on new router and also Upnp.

I connected via wifi and got internet. Only other thing i did was turned of wifi on the TT router.

Might not be pretty. but the oculus quest 2 works superbly!

Highlighted
Participant

"Before considering spending money on anything, WiFi6, when the 802.11ax standard has a very short range & should be thought of as WiFi in the same room as the router, no further."

Sorry not true. I suspect you've got 802.11ax and 802.11ad all mixed up, the latter DOES give very short range whilst the former is designed to replace 802.11ac and also runs on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. So range is definitely NOT an issue on 802.11ax, if anything its better on 802.11ax from my own exprience. These are the sort of wifi speeds what I'm getting over 802.11ax on my TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 line (iPhone 12 Pro) - phone is on a different floor to the router (Netgear RAX200):

IMG-0007.png

TalkTalk Business Full Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200