Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi Hub DNS resolution

16 REPLIES 16
Roffey3
First Timer

In my search for limited connections etc..........

Just wondering why I've got 42 pages of errors all related to DNS failures to resolve.

Typical is the plentiful DNS name resolution failure (frca1lbip.francecentral.cloudapp.azure.com)

Microsoft I believe? 

Also netmon at dropbox.com. A few puzzling nonsensical 

DNS name resolution failure (wdxzuoawjbkepr)

ones, but mainly microsoft and dropbox.

So, should I set up google DNS 8.8.8.8    8.8.4.4? 

Just want a peaceful Life 🙂

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Roffey , welcome to the community. My personal preference is for third party dns, there are a couple which even offer free as blocking,one very slow one very quick. All the Talktalk router allow this

Using 3rd Party DNS 

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
chtechie
Team Player

@Roffey3 Just checked my logs & have similar DNS error messages, mainly dropbox with various nonsensical entries also - I'm using 8.8.8.8 & 1.1.1.1 for my DNS servers so it seems it's something else not a Talktalk DNS server.

Roffey3
First Timer

@chtechie ...

All very strange ... 45 pages and building up .... my latest date log starts at page 23!..

shame it isn't more comprehensive, then at least we would know where the requests are coming from.

There is supposed to be a router update, but who knows when this will be available, and if it will fix issues. 

I even had a TT email, out of the blue, which stated I wasn't getting the speeds I should do, and an engineer would call to set a date for a visit. I was getting 25meg. Sure enough, visit was made and a new socket fitted due to a 'bridge tap'. Up to 40meg now.  Never heard of an ISP doing that before... 

I'll see if wireshark can unfold the mystery a bit more ... failing that, maybe invest in a proven, high spec router, then maybe move on from TT. 

Community Team

Hi Roffey3,

Could I just confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the performance of the connection such as slow web pages, buffering, etc?

Thanks

Roffey3
First Timer

Hi, 

No apparent issues as such.... some pages are slow, but not to the point of frustration etc.

No buffering issues have been seen....

All would appear to be in order ....

My issues started with connections dropping off with more than 22 devices, and trying to dig in to that to find out why.. Even connecting a second TT wifi router at 192.168.1.2 successfully ( different channel),  failed to support the extra devices.

Pinging the apparently allocated connection would sometimes result in a reply from a different address? No apparent MAC conflicts, but with the state of the wifi hub router firmware connection management, it's difficult to see what's happening. 

Community Team

Hi Roffey3,

Which firmware version does your wifi hub have?

Chris

Roffey3
First Timer

Hi Chris,

Info from the router states.....

Hardware VersionFAST5364 3.00Software VersionSG4K10002600tGUI Version3.7.5System Up Time16d 08h14m17s

Community Team

OK thanks, that's the latest firmware version 

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

Roffey3
First Timer

just to confirm I have updated my profile.... mobile contact not available until 5/9/19. 

Community Team

Thanks.

So there are no issues until you get to 23 devices or more?

Chris

Roffey3
First Timer

That does appear to be the case.

I do have a lot of devices controlling switches, lights, hubs etc.. I'll admit, but in these days of control it is very easy to have escalating numbers of device connections. 

I have quite a few ESP8266 and ESP32 wifi devices controlling blinds and led strip effect lighting, but these have had no issues for at least a year. 

I recently wanted to add an api pushbullet notification device, which was always ok on start up, then failed after a while. When I looked at the device error, it would always show a lost IP.

This would occur from 5 -10 minutes after being connected. Stripping it back and just allowing a connect to the AP with no other communication, showed the same. I looked for a mac conflict but nothing appeared. I tried programming several other devices in case of a rogue one, but nothing changed. 

I updated to the wifi hub under the impression that a higher number of connections would be available. 

I looked for all other reasons that the connection failed, but came up with nothing.

Thanks for your help here

Community Team

Thanks for the information 

Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands to see if this makes any difference, if not then I think it worth a try

Chris

Roffey3
First Timer

Yes, I do have 5 devices on the 5GHz band, but unfortunately other devices are only 2.4GHz.

Community Team

Did splitting the bands have any effect at all, or is the issue exactly the same?

Chris

Roffey3
First Timer

The issue has always been the same ….. managed to get another device on, and set it to a reserved IP. This has allowed it to stay up and connected. Tried to add another device and reserve that one, but couldn't find it on the list. Things started going flakey then. ie communications with the hub gui became intermittent.

I don't know how long the update will take, but I think I will have to wait and see. Maybe try a higher spec router designed to take more connections?

Community Team

The router should be fine with 22 devices but there is new firmware currently in trial, this should be released soon and may resolve the issue

Chris