would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi Hub Regularly Restarts - Line tests are fine

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Wayno1979
Chatterbox

I have the new WiFi hub and around 78mb speed, and when the internet/router is working the I am happy with the service.

Unfortunately I am suffering from intermittent reboots. When it starts rebooting in can happen between 3-10 times before it eventually settles back down but then then happen again at any time although it can also go days without restarting.

I have contacted Talk Talk via the chat several times and gone through the usual script of testing and changing my Wifi channel and sometimes this works for a few days, but the problem always comes back.

When I check the logs there are some very change things happening. Firstly the logs go back to 2012, but I only got the router this year! There are also logs from 2017 but they appear at the top of the list as though they are the newest.

When checking the logs there are a lot of failed DNS lookups, I have tried changing the DNS settings to use Google's public ones (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) but the logs are still happening and the restarts still occur. 

Last night after the 3rd restart I checked the logs again and it showed random devices connecting and disconnecting every 3 seconds, after identifying one of the devices, a new Xbox One X, the restarts did stop for a while.

I am certain that there is a technical fault with the router, the logs showing from 2012 and 2017 are clearly a mistake and the constant restarts are becoming extremely frustrating as we watch a lot of Netflix and On demand TV and play online games frequently.

How would I go about getting a new router?

Thanks in advance

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Wayno1979 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Wayno1979

I will send a replacement router, and a returns bag. 

Should be with you in a few days. 

When you set it up please replace all cables aswell. 

Regards

Wayno1979
Chatterbox

Thanks  @OCE_Arne

Fingers crossed it resolves the issue, my router restarted around 10 times yesterday evening between 5:30pm and 11:30pm!

DHL are delivering the new one today.

Community Team

Hi Wayno1979,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares 🙂

Thanks

Wayno1979
Chatterbox

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

New router seems stable so far, speeds are still a little lower than before and the firmware is not up to date, but from memory the previous router was fine until it got the latest firmware update so this isnt necessarily a bad thing.

Will monitor over the next few weeks and see how it goes, especially if it does get the firmware update.

Cheers

Community Team

Hi

Glad to hear things are more stable.  Do let us know if anything changes.

Regards,

Karl. 

Wayno1979
Chatterbox

Evening @OCE_Karl @OCE_Michelle @OCE_Arne 

Unfortunately after 2 months of very stable internet my router has updated it's firmware and the issues have returned, 1 restart this morning and 4 back to back this evening.

The firmware version is now showing SG4K10002600t, it's was previously SG4K10001400t and was working nearly flawless with maybe 1 or 2 restarts in 2 months.

It's clearly a firmware issue and not hardware, please can you resolve this asap so I don't end up with constant disconnects like before.

Is there any way to roll back the firmware?

Thanks in advance

Community Team

Hi Wayno1979,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Is it currently only the wireless connection which is dropping? Unfortunately we don't have the option of rolling back the router firmware. We do have new firmware for the wifi hub coming soon. Have you recently tried a few different wireless channels since this has started again?

Thanks

Wayno1979
Chatterbox

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

Thanks for your reply.

It is not the connection that drops, the whole router crashes and restarts itself, all wireless and wired devices then obviously loose connection as the router is off. This can then reoccur 5 or 6 times over the next 30 mins until it settles down again.

When logging into the router the up time has been reset.

Regardless of WiFi channel settings it still resets, something I have never experienced with any other provider or router.

After having 2 Talk Talk routers and experiencing the same issues I have lost all confidence in your router and have now purchased my own. I pay for fast broadband as I frequently play online games, but the Talk Talk router is just not fit for purpose and is ruining my experience.

I am hugely disappointed and I am now out of pocket, hopefully something Talk Talk will reimburse via a discount or good will gesture.

It is unfortunate that my contract does not expire until August 2020 otherwise I would have simply switched providers but cancellation will mean I will incur further costs which I am not willing to pay.

Community Team

Hi Wayno1979

Apologies for this.

Once the new firmware has been fully tested and is available then it would be worth testing the Wifi Hub again to see if you still experience this issue.

Thanks

Debbie

Wayno1979
Chatterbox

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

I have been with Talk Talk for just 8 months and have experienced issues with the router for the last 2 months.

Now you are saying that once new firmware is fully tested and available I should try that as it may resolve the issue. When is it due? 1 month? 2 months? Longer?

So basically if all goes well with the firmware I may actually get the service I have paid for after 9 or 10 months of service!

This is not acceptable, after 10 months I would have paid over £230 in fees for an unsatisfactory service and faulty equipment. The service and equipment should be fit for purpose from day 1 of the contract not after 10 months.

Community Team

Hi Wayno1979

We don't have a specific date for when this will be released at the moment.

I can raise a complaint so this can be discussed further with a Complaints Manager, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie