cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi Hub got me locked out of online banking.

18 REPLIES 18
Philosopher

I have been using a TT Hub which I purchased from TT with  recently updated SG4K10001E00t software. Web pages were getting slower and slower to load. I was getting repeated messages saying I was not connected to the internet. Pages would try to load and fail, links would not work, changing browser tabs would cause loss of internet connection.

In frustration I tried an old HG633 using the same cables and master socket, the only change was the 633 and its power supply as the one from the hub does not work on the 633. Pages loaded rapidly, no loss of internet and no problems with links. After a week I also tried a second hand HG635, again the same cables and socket as the hub but its own power supply. Again pages loaded quickly and no loss of internet connection.

Again after a week I have swapped back to the wifi hub. Pages are getting slower and slower, internet connections keep dropping and pages time out without connecting.

I have just tried to carry out some internet banking and the hub was dropping the web connection repeatedly. The connection dropped so many times I have been locked out of my internet banking!!!!!!

I am using the master socket which does not have a test socket. The leads supplied with the hub are in use. The problems do not occur with the 633 or the 635 using the same leads and socket. I did not always have this problem with the HUB could it be the update to  SG4K10001E00t?  The hub has been proven to be at fault by the above actions.

Philosopher

After making the above post the connection failed. Every time I try t get on the forum I get

Hmmm... cannot reach this page
Try this
Make sure that you’ve got the right web address: https://community.talktalk.co.uk
Search for "https://community.talktalk.co.uk" on Bing
Refresh the page

I am having to use my mobile as a hot spot to make this post.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi zebidee88,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Are you still unable to connect if you re-connect the alternative router (HG633)

Could I also just confirm, does the slow web pages when using the wifi hub affect both wired and wireless?

Thanks

Philosopher

@OCE_Michelle 

Hi  Thanks for replying I have been able to connect eventually this morning, multiple losses of connection really bad around 0940.

I have not tried wired yet as it is awkward but will do so today. The problem is only with the HUB and that is using the same socket and cables with all three, only the power unit was changed as the plug on the hub power unit does not work with the 633 and 635.

Would it be OK to try wired with a powerline adaptor as plugging directly into the hub puts me in the middle of a corridor. An internet radio with a powerline adaptor does not seem to have any trouble at all.

Hi zebidee88

Thanks for your reply. Yes please can you test with the powerline adapter and let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Philosopher

@OCE_Debbie 

Hi, so far much faster with a powerline adaptor, even emails open quickly.  The wifi connected printer is now playing up. I don't know if it is significant but there are over a thousand pages in the hub logs section in maintenance. From mid day tomorrow I will be away until Thursday

Hi zebidee88,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Philosopher

@OCE_Michelle 

Hi The hub has been in use for twelve days using a cable via a powerline adaptor. Using a cable the sites load faster than with wifi although I am not sure how it compares with the 633 and 635. There have been a few loses of internet connection but that could be due to the cable pulling on the laptop socket. Most importantly I have not been timed out whilst trying to log into a bank account as before as after three attempts I was locked out.

It can't be the socket, cable, filter or phone line as it is specific to the hub and the old 633 and 635 load normally using the same socket, filter cables etc.

Hi zebidee88,

Thanks for the update. Do you still need any assistance with this or is this now ok?

Thanks

Philosopher

Hi @OCE_Michelle thanks for taking the time to respond.

The whole idea of purchasing the wifi hub from TT was to improve coverage in my house, so being tethered to a powerline cable with a download speed of 4.67 on faster fibre is not very good (normal wifi was 20). Permanent use of a cable in the laptop will also eventually damage the laptop socket as it is not used on a table. There is also the matter of other devices using the wifi, with two ring mains, powerline adaptors are not the answer for all of them.

By swapping out the Hub for a 633 and 635 using the same connections proves the problem is with the Hub rather than the connections, filter or phone line.

The problem was not there when the Hub was first put into use, the only change was a software update which cured the always on front light. So either the update (SG4K10001E00t) had a problem or the Hub is failing internally.  This problem has been mentioned by others but TT say they have not been able to replicate it, here is an opportunity to do so with a known rouge unit.

Had this been purchased from a shop it would have been returned to the seller. I would think there are three possibilities, replace the item with a NEW unit (not refurbished), return/refund the unit or backdate/update the software. Those are not in order of preference all I want is a wifi that works without throwing £30 in the bin. I am more than happy to be used as a guinea pig if it would help generally as well as my current problem.

The Hub is switched on and my profile is up to date.

Hi zebidee88,

We do have a newer version of firmware for the wifi hub, would you like us to update this for you to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Philosopher

That would be worth a try, the Hub is on and will not be being used again until 3 pm at the earliest, or if it needs to be overnight it is never switched off. Are you able to access the diagnostic logs remotely, or would that not be any benefit?

I am just about to take my grandson out for most of the day.

Hi zebidee88,

I've updated the firmware now, please let us know if there is any improvement.

Thanks

Philosopher

Hi @OCE_Michelle  thanks for updating the firmware.

So far the pages are loading faster, not sure if as fast as the 633 and 635 possibly not, but time will tell. 

I carried out three speedtests (speedtest.net), not bothering with decimal places, the first was 9, 20, 6. The second started with a download of 20 and drifted down to 12, the third started at 20 and drifted down to 14. 

To give it a fair chance I will use it until next week and then give another update.

Hi zebidee88,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Philosopher

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

After a week of use the sites are loading quite a bit faster and there have only been two connection loses. Last Friday or Saturday things slowed down quite a lot and I got the not connected to the internet message twice. This seemed to clear until Monday evening at 10 pm when things almost ground to a complete halt, once again this seemed to pass and has been O.K. since.

I have run quite a few speedtests using Ookla and during the test it seems to bounce between 14 and 19, the more times it is tested the higher it gets now settling at a steady 20.. I used to get 28 (see below) but it has been slowly dropping for a long time, there is about 1/4 mile of copper between me and the cabinet I am connected to.

speed.JPG

Hi zebidee88,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that pages are loading faster, connection history isn't showing any recent disconnection, did you get the not connected to the internet message on device connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

Philosopher

Hi @OCE_Chris 

All the missing connections were via wifi. It was proven to be the Hub and not interference or anything else by using the same leads sockets etc with a 633 and 635 when the problem instantly disappeared (as explained in first post) and did not return until the Hub was put back into use. 

The hub behaved when new and seemed to play up after the previous software update which cured the front light coming on even when set to off. The latest (second) update appears to have cured that problem. As long as my download speed (down from 28 to 20) does not degrade any more I can put up with that. If the Hub plays up again later on I will revive this thread, but assuming that does not happen thank you all (Debbie, Michelle, Chris) for all your help in solving this problem.

Hi zebidee88,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance.

Thanks