Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi Hub parental controls

17 REPLIES 17
ascheele
First Timer

I've been waiting since July for a solution to this. My old HG633 had parental control options (very much needed to limit access times and specific devices). The WiFi hub doesn't have this option and, I was led to believe (in July) that a firmware update would become available to enable parental controls. I have now resorted to using the HG633, even though the coverage is terrible. Please can you sort this out, as my WiFi hub is unusable.

Community Team

Hi ascheele,

We are currently testing a new version of firmware for the wifi hub, however I'm not sure if this included parental controls. I'll ask our Products Team for an update now.

Thanks

ascheele
First Timer

thanks. I know there is Homesafe, but i don't need this. What is needed is scheduled access times and the ability to allow or disable access for specific devices. As was the case with the HG633. 

Community Team

Hi ascheele,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Our Products Team have advised that there are no plans to add this feature into the router as our Homesafe service has a parental controls feature.

Thanks

mohammed1
First Timer

I have just brought the fast broadband 

i am very disappointed  as you have decided not to add that feature. as i am force to use hg633 router. as i have 3 young teenage children.

mohammed hussain
ferguson
Community Star

@mohammed1 Have you tried HomeSafe and the parental controls available there?

DonMac
Participant

I don't think that Homesafe will do what mohammed wants - give him the ability to time restrict access for specific devices.

Unless I'm missing something Homesafe imposes its restrictions on every device using your connection and only gives you the option to restrict access to social/gaming networks by time.

Regards

Don
ferguson
Community Star

@DonMac Maybe, but I don't like to second guess and prefer to ask questions to see if we can help. And if the HG633 does the job then that's fine. 

@mohammed1 If you want further support then do start your own topic.

DonMac
Participant

My mistake, I was confusing mohammed with the original poster, sorry.

Regards

Don
zofbtb
Conversation Starter

For what it's worth,I use Kaspersky Safe Kids on the kids' tablets, phones and computers. It was around £15/year. Good bit of software (allows you to limit screen time per device and a fair bit more)

mohammed1
First Timer

home safe does not work.  it does not cut off internet.  my children easily avoid those restriction set by homesafe using proxy server.

mohammed hussain
halbrow
Chatterbox

Hello, this is dissapointing to hear. I have recently moved from BT to Talk Talk and I'm surprised that I cannot set WiFi access times per device.

Is it possible to use my BT router for my Talk Talk service??

Best regards,

H.

Community Team

Hi halbrow,

It depends if the BT router is locked to the BT network, if not then it should work fine

Chris

frad123
First Timer

i signed up with talktalk at the start of school holidays, a big mistake i very much regret. Now that my kids are back at school, i want to set up restrictictions on there devices without intruding on there privacy by fiddling with there phones and games consels. This feature has been available on every router i have had, before i signed with talktalk i read up on there super duper rouer and it states ..parental control being amongst its features. But now have i found this not to be the case, i am fuming. the only way to control my kids internet is to completly switch off the internet for everybody in our household. So am i now faced with the choice to except this, which i wont, or buy another router, or cancel my contract. Also, we are forever having to input the password on all our devices, half way threw a movie, or in the middle of homework.. connection lost. What a complete waste of money talktalk is.

Community Team

Hi frad123,

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with your service. If you'd like us to take a look at your dropping connection issue could you please start your own thread and can you update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Chris

Simon701

I have the same problem as the first poster.

Can I time limit the HG633 router for my kids' devices?

If no, does TalkTalk have alternative routers that provide this service?

Thanks Simon

Community Team

Hi Simon701,

There is no option to do this via the router. Have you had a look at our HomeSafe service?

TalkTalk HomeSafe - An Overview

How to use TalkTalk HomeSafe®

Thanks

FritzCT
Conversation Starter

I could be wrong but think there is....the HG635 certainly used to have parental controls (maybe removed in a firmware update?) and I thought the HG633 did in the same menu?

Fritz