Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi issues - 5GHz not work, impacts 2.4GHZ

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Chatterbox

This afternoon my son started to complain that his phone kept losing connection to our home wifi. Checking on my wife's and my own phone I could see that neither were indeed connecting, despite the Wifi hub admin section telling us otherwise. In an attempt to troubleshoot the issue, I split the SSID on my hub to 2 different SSIDs. Our phones, 2 Google Pixel 2 and a huawei P20 , were able to see both SSIDs but were getting intermittent connection to the 2.4 GHZ band. Nothing was able to connect specifically to the 5GHZ band at all, keeps timing out. So I disabled the 5Ghz band and connectivity to the 2.4 Ghz band was restored, no issues.

This doesn't sound normal. I have tried setting the 5GHZ band to channel 44, but again none of our 5Ghz capable devices have been able to connect.

Is this a hub issue?

here are some of the versions from my hub

FAST5364 3.00
SG4K10001E00t
21d 21h21m35s
Highlighted
Community Star

Disabling the 5GHz band should obviously not have any impact on the 2.4GHz band. Have you tried a factory default of the configuration?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

the router was reset a couple of weeks ago and since then no changes to config have been made by me, so why would it suddenly stop?

Highlighted
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Cragdoo,

I'd like first of all to update your router firmware, is it OK to do this now?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Chris

Yes , please go ahead and carry out the update

Highlighted

OK, I'm pushing out the firmware update to your now, should complete within a few minutes. Once it's complete please retest and let us know how you get on 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

HI Chris

I can confirm the firmware upgrade has resolved the issue. Thanks for dealing with this..

Regards

Craig

Highlighted

Hi Craig, that's great news, thanks for letting me know 🙂

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

I have the same problem log into router and says 5ghz down and when i try to connect to wifi it asks for WPA2 password HELP!

Highlighted

Hi Trapzprod1,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks