cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi on HG633 router starting to drop out

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Barry,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Do you still have the alternative router that you could test with to see if this connect?

Thanks

Conversation Starter
Hi Michelle,
Unfortunately I returned the other routers on Monday so have nothing I can test with.
Barry

Hi Barry,

Just to confirm, when you pressed the reset button on the back of the router, was the router switched on?

At the moment your router appears to be connected to the Internet 

Chris

Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

Yes the router was on when I pressed the reset button. 

I am on the train into London so can’t check the internet status but will check with home later to see if it’s working.

Barry

Conversation Starter
I have just checked with home and WiFi is working but no Internet, I wanted to also say that the internet light on the router was and still is showing as green.
I may still have an old netgear router I can test with but won’t know or be able to install until late tonight.
Barry

Thanks for the information. Yes if you could test with the Netgear router that would be good, it does sound like there could be a fault with your current router

Chris

Conversation Starter
I found the netgear router, it is a DG834PN Rangemax router. Have it all plugged in but I suspect it’s not fibre compatible as I can’t find a VDSL setting. Having said that I would need the username and password to connect anyway as the wizard is not finding the TalkTalk network.
Anyone available to confirm if the router is compatible or what my broadband login and password? I think from what I have seen the login is my phone number preceding @talktalk.net
Thanks
Barry
Conversation Starter

Just an update, as I couldn't get the netgear router to connect, I thought I would give the DSL 3782 another try, so powered on whilst not connected to the ADSL, connected again and I successfully accessed the GUI, but as it was from earlier today, it still had my customisation in place.

I decided to try the the Reset to Factory again from the GUI and this time it decided to work, so I logged back in and all the settings were back to factory.

I have some items that are awkward to change the IP address, so I changed the router address to 192.168.0.1 with a DHCP scope of 192.168.0.50-254, that all seemed ok, so I thought I would connect everything back up and after a few minutes the Internet was back up and functioning.

However I was not able to get back into the Router Admin, so I tried to putty to the router (it would seem that this is not possible or I am missing where to set SSH up), so as I couldn't access the GUI, I had to try the Pin reset on the back of the device. It seemed to take about 25 secs with the pin pushed in, then all lights were on and I had to then power cycle the device.

On startup it was clear that the reset had worked as the gateway had changed back to 192.168.1.1 and the allocated IPs starting from 192.168.1.2

I tried to access the Admin again but couldn't load the page, so I carried out a seconday reset on the back of the router and this time it took about 12 secs but still needed a power recycle.

After the second attempt I was able to get back to the admin. I have changed the router again to 0.1 and the DHCP to 0.50-254, restarted the router and for the moment I can still login.

I still need have the firmware update to cover the VPN issue as my work VPN still won't connect, hopefully the update will work this time.

I am a little concerned that the update couldn't be done in the first place and then having all the problems today. So wondered what the OCEs felt would be the next step, either a another new router (in which case which one) or see how it goes with this DSL router?

Many thanks

Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the update. I've pushed out the latest firmware to your router, could you please retest and let us know if this resolves your VPN issue. (if you continue to experience problems with the router then we can replace it but I'd see how it goes with the new firmware)

Thanks

Chris

Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,
Thanks for pushing the update, however my work VPN still seems to be unable to connect, the VPN is through a Cisco ASA 5500 Firewall, not sure if that makes a difference.
So far everything else seems to be ok.
Not being able to access the VPN is a big problem for me.
The only router available to me to try now is one of the new super hubs, but I understand it is not something the OCEs can supply and looks like if I want one I would have to pay for it as I am not a new customer, which is an outrage having been a customer since Lineone!
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Barry

Hi Barry,

I'm sorry to hear this. The 3782 should work fine with VPN if it has the latest version of firmware. Does this affect both wired and wireless?

Thanks

Conversation Starter
The vpn doesn’t work wired or wirelessly also D-Link avg download is about 62mbps, hg always reported 79mbps. If no other options are available can you change me back to the hg633 as I need work vpn working.
Thanks

Hi Barry

Would you like me to send a HG633 router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Thanks Debbie yes please it seems to be better than the D-Link hopefully a fourth replacement might work without issue. 

Regards,

Barry

Hi Barry

The HG633 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Conversation Starter

Just an update for you, after installing the latest router I was still getting random drop out however I managed to isolate the cause. Turns out that the issue was my grandsons PS4, I had this connected on ethernet yet for some reason it was interfering with the internet. After researching the recommended fix was to turn off uPnp on the router.

Not sure why this started to cause an issue as we have had the PS4 for as long as we have had this model of router and the faster fibre.

Now this is off the internet has remained stable.

Handy to know if anyone has similar issues

Regards

Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks