Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi speed dropping

18 REPLIES 18
Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

I have a HG633 router and have never had any problems with it.

I have quite a lot of devices connected to it by Wifi, Android phones, iMacs, Smart TV's etc. Always when I run a speed test over Wifi I get download speeds of approx 37Mbps.

Just recently though, when I run a speed test, the initial speed I get is 37Mbps but as the test continues the speed drops to about 20 Mbps, and therefore the result at the end of the test is considerably lower than I would normally get. If I restart the router the results go back to normal and I get a download speed of 37 Mbps, but after about 5 or 6 days, the problem reoccurs and I have to restart the router again.

Is it possible that the router has developed a problem, and if so, could anybody let me know how to stop it?

Thanks for your help.

jstype

Community Star

No, it is far more likely to be Wi-Fi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The HG633 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the HG633 (V2.00), to enable it, first set both SSIDs to the exact same name. Then go to:-

Home Network > Wireless Settings > Enable Wireless Network Frequency Bands

Then put a tick against Enable Band steering.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Super Duper Contributor

Thanks for your help. I have enabled band steering. It will be interesting to see if this makes a difference.

The WiFi speeds I am getting are sufficient for all my WiFi conections to run without buffering so there is not a problem really.

I just wondered why the speed test alters after about 5 or 6 days and the speed test then initially reaches the normal speed, and then drops as the test continues.

Also restarting the router cures it and the speed does not drop as the test goes on.

If it is not a faulty router then it is of no real consequence as as long as the speed is sufficient for my devices to work properly there is no problem.

I ony do the speed test by WiFi from an iMac that sits on the same desk as the router and I usually get the same speed test result with ethernet cable as I do by WiFi. I am sure if I did it from any of the other rooms in the house where my other devices are, the speed would be a lot less because of the greater distance.

Thanks again for your help.

jstype

Community Star

Please read the last two paragraphs of my post, what I have suggested fixes nothing. I offer more help if you want it.

The fact that rebooting the router fixes it for a while is very indicative of WiFi interference.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jstype

Apologies for the delay.

Have you had a look at Keith's post? Keith provides really good advice on improving wireless performance.

Thanks

Debbie

Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for you response, Yes I am very grateful for Keith's reply. As I mentioned before I have about 9 or 10 devices connected to my router by WiFi.

I quite often check the speed of the WiFi from an iMac sitting next to the router on the same desk, that is when I notice the speed drop.  I have never actually had a problem with any of the devices connected to the router, so I only notice the problem when I do the speed test. If any of my devices started to loose connection or buffer, then I would ask Keith's help.  I do not think it is worth at the moment putting effort into curing a problem that only appears when I do a speed test. I just thought the router might be playing up and if not it is something I can easily live with.

Thanks very much for your and Keith's help

jstype

Hi jstype

Thanks for your reply.

I can send a replacement router for testing if you would like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Super Duper Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your help that would be great.

jstype

Hi jstype

No problem, which router would you prefer to test with the HG633 or the DSL3782 router?

Thanks

Debbie

Super Duper Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your help, I have had an HG633 for ages and am quite pleased with it. Perhaps  another router would make a change. I really don't mine just send me the one you think would be best for me.

Thanks again

jstype

Hi jstype

Thanks for your reply.

I've ordered a DSL3782 router to see how the connection compares.

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Super Duper Contributor

That's great will give it a try and see how it compares. I will let you know by using this post again if thats ok!?

Thanks

jstype

Hi jstype

Yes please post back here and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Super Duper Contributor

Hi,

I have just received the DSL-3782 router. It seems to perform better than my HG633; the WiFi speeds are better especially when you are at a greater distance from the router.

May I test it for a bit longer before returning the HG633?

I notice that the firmware is v1.08t, is that correct?

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

jstype

Hi jstype,

Yes that would be fine. We do have a newer version of firmware for the 3782 router to resolve a VPN issue. Would you like us to update the firmware for you?

Thanks

Super Duper Contributor

That would be great, thanks agan for your help. Sounds slilly  but how do you log out of the

dsl-3782

KInd regards,

jstype

Hi jstype,

I've updated the firmware as requested. Apologies, I'm not sure what you mean. What are you trying to log out of?

Thanks

Super Duper Contributor

Thanks,  for the firmware update. This morning  the new router is syncing slightly slower than the old one.

It will be interesting to see as time goes by. In rooms that are at a distance from the router I still seem to be getting better speeds, but not close to it.

Sorry I was not clear, I logged into the router to see the information on it, and now cannot see how to log out of the router.

Thanks for all your help.

jstype

Hi jstype

You can just close the window/browser. 

Thanks

Debbie