Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wildly inconsistent BB speeds

7 REPLIES 7
Chunter1
First Timer

This has been an ongoing issue with TalkTalk, I have had my line checked and even an in-home visit but a brightspark engineer, who swapped my router out which fixed the issue only temporarily.... I believe it is ultimately down to me being so far from the exchange, I admit the speeds went up when investigated but I'm right back 

How can my router's homepage say I'm getting 31mb down when in actual fact I'm getting nearer 10mb, on my devices wired and wireless, this is all after the fact my 'promised minimum speed' is 32mb, as a minimum!

genuinely at my wits end with talktalk and regret signing up for another 18 months, is there anyway I can back out of my contract if the provided service isn't up to standard? or if they're gunna provided me with 1/4 of my 'promised minimum speed' I could get a monthly bill price cut to 1/4?

Any help appreciated but I don't think there's much to be done

Community Team

Hi Chunter1 

Please can you update your Community profile to include your name, telephone number and alternative contact number, we can then look into this further (Please do not post this information on this thread)

Please bump this thread to confirm once your Community profile has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

Chunter1
First Timer

Thank you, have filled in the information

Community Team

Hi Chunter1 

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 30.9mb.

Which router are you currently using? (make and model)

Thanks

Debbie

Chunter1
First Timer

Morning Debbie,

The router is the new 'Super' router (I believe Huawei HG633) This is a newly replaced router as a brightspark engineer deemed this to be at fault for the speeds.

Thank you for doing the line test but as I have mentioned this has all been done before, what the line test shows and what I receive are two very different speeds, I went through the hassle of testing the speed morning, afternoon and evening, almost never seeing my connection reach the "Minimum guaranteed download speed:" of 31.4Mb

The usual response is because I am located so far from the exchange my speed will highly fluctuate, if this is the case how can you promise minimum guaranteed download speed?

TT speed.PNG

Community Team

Hi Chunter1

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a wired speed test with only once device connected?

Thanks

Debbie

Chunter1
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

I have powered down the router and left off for 30 minutes, I also connected to it via wire and did a speedtest on two different sites (not at the same time) at around 6:30 pm so peak time.

• Fast.com - Download 17Mbps - Upload 8.6Mbps
  • Speedtest.net - Download 26Mbps - Upload 8.8Mbps

these speeds are around the higher range to what I usually get (most probably because nothing else was connected to the router and using the connection at the time, I still have yet to see the TalkTalk "Minimum guaranteed download speed" of 31.4Mbps and thusly the advertised speed (for which I signed up for) of 36Mbps

It seems the engineers inital diagnosis of being far from the exchange was correct and the only way of speeding my connection up is to move my house closer.

Community Team

Hi Chunter1,

Thanks for the update. The throughput speeds are usually around 80% of the sync speed. I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed has increased slightly since we last checked.

Just to confirm, does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to test the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs to see if DLM increases the sync speed any further?

Thanks