Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Windows laptops lose wifi

9 REPLIES 9
ma0jdp
First Timer

I recently upgraded our router to the Wifi Hub. I have 2 Windows 10 laptops which both now regularly lose connectivity. The icon will show that it is connected, but with no internet.

Checking the connected devices on the router admin page from another device, shows that the laptop is not in the list of connected devices.

Disconnecting and reconnecting to the wifi will recover the connection.

Both machines are close to the router. The older one can only connect to the 2.4Ghz band, and the other regularly connects to the 5Ghz band

Thanks for any help you can provide

KeithFrench
Community Star

With a reasonable connection to the WiFi but no internet access, please open a command prompt window by clicking the Window Icon & type:-

cmd

in the search box next to it. This should find the "Command Prompt" from there.

Once there, issue this command in the command prompt window:-

ipconfig /all

Then copy the command window output & paste it into Notepad (to try & preserve the formatting) & attach the file at the bottom of your post.

Then please repeat this for the other PC.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

ma0jdp
First Timer

Here is the ipconfig output for the first computer. I will repeat when the other next loses connection

KeithFrench
Community Star

That shows you connected OK via Ethernet, which doesn't help.

What I need to see is the problem on WiFi without the Ethernet being connected, otherwise, the WiFi output in this command shows nothing at all.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

ma0jdp
First Timer

Are you sure? It shows the ethernet as being disconnected, the only adapter with any connection info is the "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230"

KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes sorry that was my mistake. That looks fine. Have a look at this site where it suggests disabling & enabling the network adapter:-

https://windowsreport.com/limited-internet-connection-windows-10/

Keith

ma0jdp
First Timer

I've disabled and reenabled the network adapter. I've also updated the drivers to no avail.

Over the weekend I've noticed that my mobile devices also regularly drop connection. They show, "connected but with no internet". Disconnecting and reconnecting fixes this temporarily.

Is there a limit to the number of devices that can connect simultaneously? The router dashboard never reports more than 8 devices connected, even though we have much more than that

KeithFrench
Community Star

First off the device list in the hub, there are a lot of bugs associated with this that should be fixed in the new firmware currently on trial. I think the limit is supposed to be around 50 devices, but I have no way of proving this.

Do you get any devices that give this limited connection warning when connected over an Ethernet (wired) connection? the reason I ask is that I had previously discounted any WiFi interference problems, as the devices are connected. However, as other devices are also complaining, it probably could be worth checking?

Keith

ma0jdp
First Timer

I've run one pc on a wired connection for a few days now. It does have the same issue. At random points in the day it will lose internet and network connectivity, while still showing a connected status. Manually disconnecting and reconnecting recovers access. I've encountered the issue on Windows and Ubuntu.

I've also noticed it on my mobile. However, as it detects no internet access it, it automatically disconnects from the wifi, and reconnects almost immediately. At the weekend, when trying to play "That's You" on the Playstation with mobile devices, multiple players got disconnected from rounds as the connection dropped.

Community Team

Hi ma0jdp,

Line test isn't picking up any issues and Internet connection looks stable but router stats are showing all local wifi channels are congested but this doesn't explain why you are also losing connection on your wired device.

I can send a replacement router to rule out any issues with your current one, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Chris