Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wireless Hub

19 REPLIES 19
clickste
First Timer

Hi, I've been with TalkTalk for a while so far for just Fibre & the telephone line, decided to take the plunge today and cancel Sky and get TalkTalk TV along with a boost in the Internet speed, since joining TalkTalk I've been using my own router, however now I'll be having the TV component I know I'll need to use a TalkTalk router or wireless hub.

I was hoping that as I'm quite significantly upgrading my package and signing for another 18 months that I would be able to have the new wireless hub free of charge, but I've been advised that I'd have to pay for this which seems rather cheeky! Is there no way around this? If I need to stop using my own router I don't want to be using something that would be a downgrade in terms of signal etc.

Community Team

Hi clickste,

Just to confirm, were you advised that you would receive a HG633 or a 3782 router? Both these routers do work fine with our TV service and fibre. It may be worth speaking directly to our Loyalty Team to see if they are able to offer any deals in regards to the wifi hub as part of the upgrade.

Thanks

clickste
First Timer

They said they weren't going to be sending a router at all, I had problems with the TalkTalk Router when I first signed up so I bought my own which works really well, only it looks like its not going to be compatible with the TV Service, I really don't want to go back to using the TalkTalk router that didn't work properly/dropped out a lot.

Community Team

Hi clickste,

Could you take a look at the following  help article, it give information about setting up a 3rd party router with our TV service - Set up a non-TalkTalk router

Chris

clickste
First Timer

I read this previously, thanks for posting though - I use a FritzBox 3490, which is a fab router - but making changes to IGMP for the TV Service are borderline impossible (no options in the config pages for changing this).

Community Team

Hi clickste,

OK thanks. I think it's worth trying the TalkTalk router again as there's probably been new firmware since you last tried it. 

Chris

clickste
First Timer
Ive connected up the old router, could you update the software please? Says it’s currently on 1.21t

Many Thanks
Community Team

Hi clickste

Apologies for the delay.

I've tried to update the router firmware but this keeps failing. Please can you factory reset the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds, I can then try this update again.

Thanks

Debbie

clickste
First Timer
Thanks Debbie, I’ve just done the reset
Community Team

Hi clickste

Thank you 🙂

I can see that the firmware has now automatically updated to v2.00t following the reset.

Thanks

Debbie

clickste
First Timer
That’s brilliant, thank you!
Community Team
clickste
First Timer

Firmware has indeed updated but still getting poor signal and dropouts on devices in the next room, didn't have this on my personal router.

Can you upgrade to the Wireless hub please, seems daft the the WiFi signal can't be received properly in the next room!

Community Team

Hi clickste

I'm sorry to hear this.

Have you already tested different wireless channels?

Thanks

Debbie

clickste
First Timer

I've had to leave for work now, so haven't had the chance yet to check yet if I'm getting interference on from other devices on other channels.

Community Team

Hi clickste

@KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Could you help please Keith?

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @clickste 

Debbie has asked me to help you with your wireless issues.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The HG633 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the HG633 (V2.00), to enable it, first set both SSIDs to the exact same name. Then go to:-

Home Network > Wireless Settings > Enable Wireless Network Frequency Bands

Then put a tick against Enable Band steering.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Windows 10 1903 intermittent WiFi issues

With the May 2019 feature update to Windows 10, some older computers may experience loss of Wi-Fi connectivity due to an outdated Qualcomm driver. Please see this from Microsoft:-
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903#445msgdesc

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi clickste

Did you have a chance to look at Keith's post?

Thanks

Debbie

clickste
First Timer

So sorry for the delayed reply, it's been one of those weeks!

I work in IT Support myself, so I had a play around with an app that shows the networks being used around me and interference etc, but whatever I chose didn't resolve the issue, so in the end I spoke to the Loyalty Team and got the new Wifi Hub which I've set-up today, working perfectly and looking good on all device, so all is now well 🙂

Think the hub may need updating to the new firmware though lol, very happy though now - thank you for all your help.

Community Team

Hi clickste,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks