Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Yet again frequent WAN disconnects

59 REPLIES 59
ParkerP
Team Player

I have reported this in the past and it was never fully resolved I had to put up with WAN interruptions typically 2-3 times a week, Its now much worse with the disconnects being as often as every few hours.

I have been through the support chat multiple times and its been the usual factory reset of router and constantly having to explain the fault to each individual support representative (the fact they don't or can't access previous support ticket information is beyond a joke).

I have asked them not to factory reset the router as it doesnt work, it ISNT a fix and means I then have to setup my SSID and devices all over again.

Currently, I am connected to the master socket using an ADSL filter as requested and it's still occurring. The most recent support exchange resulted in the support representative telling me "its fixed now" when I asked what has been done I was told they have changed my WIFI channel settings I then asked how that would bare any relation to WAN drop out and disconnects and got no answer.

There is clearly some form of line fault or noise levels on the line, Can I please request 2md or 3rd line assistance as I am on the verge of looking into cancellation options based on breach of contract

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please bear with me on this, but as a customer, I rightly have no access to your fault history. The questions that I am about to ask you may have been covered off numerous times before, but as you have not said that you have done these in your opening post, I have no way of knowing this.

Have you tried the router connected to the test socket behind the master socket's removable faceplate with a new filter?

When you lose the connection, what do the lights show on the router (you haven't stated which make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using)?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

ParkerP
Team Player

Hello

Yes been connected into the master socket with fascia (FTTC variant) removed using an ADSL filter and been the same since doing this on Wednesday

KeithFrench
Community Star

What about the lights on the router as I asked in my previous reply? With it in the test socket, is the connection stable?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

ParkerP
Team Player

The light is solid white most of the time, when the WAN disconnects the lights go orange and flash as the ADSL connection establishes and then returns to solid white.

All my years in IT tell me this is a line fault or something external, using the FTTC fascia or the inner socket on the master socket results the same unstable connection. 

The line was newly installed 3 years ago and no phone/land-line is in use so this can't be a factor 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Thanks for that, yes now that I have all the facts, I totally agree with you. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

Community Team

Hi ParkerP,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see quite a few re-connections on the line. Thanks for confirming that the router has been tested at the test socket. Have you also tested with a different router to see how the stability compares?

Thanks

ParkerP
Team Player
Hi Michelle

Thanks very much for your assistance, yes the disconnects have continued all weekend.

In regards to another router I'm not too sure I will have a look around and report back, is there somewhere I can obtain the username and password details for the broadband or does it just use the phone number for the username?
Community Team

Hi ParkerP

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

ParkerP
Team Player

Hello 

I have managed to find our original "Super Router - Dlink" which I have now connected and is online but thanks for the offer to send a test router out.

Do I know just need to see how things go with this now the "Wifi Hub" router has been removed to see if the equipment is at fault?

Thanks again

Community Team

Hi ParkerP

Thanks for your reply.

Yes please can you monitor the connection over the next 24hrs with this router connected and let us know how it compares?

Thanks

Debbie

ParkerP
Team Player
Good Morning

Things had been looking promising with the old router connected, But I did notice in the evening around 8PM major buffering issues with HD content being streamed but it didnt drop, Then according to router logs it has again disconnected overnight around 2:30AM when there will have been little to no usage and likely very little data traffic in the area.
What the next step?
Community Team

Hi ParkerP

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats and I can see some re connections.

If you have tested with 2 different routers at the test socket and the connection is still dropping then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

ParkerP
Team Player
Good Morning Debbie

Thanks very much for your quick response, Thank you for the update.
Will they need to visit our premises to check internal connections or will they visit the local "green box/exchange"?

Thanks in advance
Lee
Community Team

Hi Lee

This will be an engineer visit to the property.

Please let us know if you would like us to arrange this visit?

Thanks

Debbie

ParkerP
Team Player
Hi Debbie

Yes please, If you can let me know the availability of OpenReach - I am able to work from home so flexible with dates

Kind Regards
Lee
Community Team

Hi Lee

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Lee

Apologies for the delay.

I have provisionally booked the engineer visit for 07/11 AM (8am - 1pm)

I will post back shortly to confirm once this has been confirmed by Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi Lee

The engineer visit has been confirmed for 07/11/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

ParkerP
Team Player
Will do thanks for your help Debbie