Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

broadband capped

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Why cant Talktalk fix my broadband speed? Since I renewed the contract in February, my broadband has consistently been less than 40mb although I have the superboost. Before the renewal all was fine. I was sent the new Sagemcom router in March but nothing changed. This has been going on for months. How does Talktalk differentiate between customer line speeds? There is surely a method they use to both prevent users on a low tariff from accessing high speeds and those on a higher tariff to be granted those speeds. Is is simply a switch at the exchange or a setting on the router? Either way,I just wish they would put me back on to the correct speed. Anyone else have this problem?

Highlighted
Community Star

Fibre broadband as we tend to know it is FTTC i.e. Fibre To The Cabinet. The last part of the connection is carried to your home via the existing phonelines, so generally speaking the further you are from the cabinet the slower your speeds will be. If your line is not capable of handling much above 40Mbps then the Speed Boost will make no difference.

Your topic has been flagged to the support team so that they can check your line and advise further, please give them a day or so to respond.  

Highlighted
Chatterbox

The cabinet is outside the window, and the exchange is less than half a mile away. Also, prior to February, I was consistently getting 60 - 80 mbs download, so the line is fully able to provide the expected speed.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

The thing is, the router has a speed of 40mbs set on it as if this was the maximum download speed (I'm actually getting 36 - 38) and that is what makes me think there is a cap on my speed as if the boost hasn't been applied.

Highlighted
Community Star

As I said, wait for the support team to respond. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi biggerbjj

Apologies for the delay.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 40mb.

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then leave the router switched on without rebooting for 48hrs, we can then check the connection stats again to see if DLM has made any changes to the line profile/speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

this has been done, any clues as to why this is happening?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi biggerbjj

I've checked and the line is still showing in sync at 40mb.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie