cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

broadband speed issues, talktalk fobbing me off.

31 REPLIES
Highlighted
yatznet
Team Player

i have been a talktalk customer for some time now and upto last month i was getting a minimum of 13mbps download speeds which is about right as im ment to get between 12.8 - 17.7mbps with a guarentted minimum of 11.1mbps but over the last 5 weeks it has been 9.5mbps i tried reporting it 3 weeks ago only to be told " we cant check right now as were doing upgrades to our systems" and tried again yesterday only to be told "yes you are below the minimum guarenteed speeds but its by a acceptable amount so we cant do anything about it" i disagree i dont find it acceptable at all. when i was getting 13mbps which isnt exactly lightning fast anyway and it drops to 9.5 it makes a noticable difference. how is this acceptable? its dropped below the minimum guarenteed speed "keyword there guarenteed" how is that acceptable? and how is being fobbed off instead of talktalk actually doing something about it acceptable? it is not! i want my speed back to atleast the minimum guarenteed and as a customer of talktalk i think they owe me atleast that much.

Yatznet
Community Team

Hi yatznet,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the voice service ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line?

Does your master socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

yatznet
Team Player

my master socket as far as i know does not have a test socket and as for my voice services i wouldn't know i purposely never bought a phone for it. my logic behind not getting a phone was no phone plugged in = no calls charges. it seemed like really sound logic at the time.

Yatznet
martswain
Insightful One
Phone and broadband share the same incoming line, if the phone service has a fault it often affects the broadband, that is why you need to check it too.
Martin
yatznet
Team Player

i understand that already, thats why i got a friend coming over with there spare phone tomorrow. so i can check the line quality

Yatznet
Community Team

Hi yatznet,

Ok thanks for the update and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

yatznet
Team Player

there is a small amount of static white noise on the line "reminds me of light rain" but as far as i know that could be normal on a landline i've always used mobile. what i can tell you is my mobile phone line as far clearer than the landline is. i would suggest calling my landline and testing for yourselfs but the noise can only be heard on my end so that probably wouldn't work out.

Yatznet
yatznet
Team Player

i can now also tell you connecting directly to the test socket makes no difference.

Yatznet
yatznet
Team Player

is it normal to pick up someone else when you call your own landline from your mobile?

i ask cos i called myself bout 10minutes ago just for the fun of it and ofcourse the landline rang as it should but after about 60 seconds i started picking up a onesided conversation on my mobile bout merging documents but my landline wasnt picking that up at all. not sure what happened there but weird right? surely the only person i should have been able to hear on my mobile is me talking into the landline.

Yatznet
yatznet
Team Player

still trying to figure out why my speeds are so crap, i have now tried swapping out my talktalk router for my old sky one (made no difference) swapped out the filters and the cable to the router aswel(still made no difference) i have now plugged the talktalk equipment back in and have it running via the test socket but as of right now its still below my minimum guarenteed speeds. i tried to check my sync speeds but truthfully i couldn't make heads or tails out of the data

SNR Margin:Line Attenuation:Output Power:Data Rate:ES:SES:UAS:FEC:CRC:

6.0 dB / 9.1 dB
6.0 dB / 25.8 dB
6.6 dbm / 6.4 dbm
1400 kbps / 9999 kbps
1 / 0
0 / 0
1371 / 1371
2 / 9536
1 / 0

so for now im going to leave my router plugged into the test socket and await further instruction from you guys. thanks

Yatznet
Community Team

Hi yatznet,

Thanks for the information

Do you still hear the noise if your disconnect the router? 

How many telephone socket do you have, Do you only have the router and telephone handset connected to your telephone socket(s)?

Chris

yatznet
Team Player

technically i got two master sockets both directly next to each other, but one of them is dead so one. the only things plugged into the test socket is router and phone via a micro filter. i dont believe the problem is the router or the micro filter as i have swapped these out for alternatives and still get the same poor speeds on my broadband. i have tested the line with and without the micro filter and get a small amount of noise both ways on the line. (but like i have said before as far as i know this could be normal) i dont know if landlines are ment to be a crystal clear as mobiles. what i do know is if my minimum guarenteed speed is 11mbps i should be getting atleast that. i also know i use to get 13mbps but now i cant even manage 10 which is below my minimum guarenteed

Yatznet
yatznet
Team Player

i have dropped again today i am now down to less than 8.5mbps. so much for a guarenteed minimum.

Yatznet
Community Team

Hi yatznet

Noise on the line can affect the broadband connection so we have to investigate this first.

Are you using a corded or cordless phone?

Did you test with the phone directly at the test socket with the router removed? Was the noise still present?

Once we have confirmed this information then we can raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

yatznet
Team Player

its cordless . i tested it from the test socket with and without the router and the noise still existed both ways.

Yatznet
Community Team

Hi yatznet

Do you have a corded phone to test with? (just to rule out any wireless interference on the cordless handset)

Thanks

Debbie

yatznet
Team Player

unfortunarely not.although i really doubt its wireless interferance cos if it is it wouldn't explain my broadband speed drop.

Yatznet
Community Team

Hi yatznet

Thanks for your reply.

Alternatively would it be possible to test your phone on a different line? (friend or family)

Thanks

Debbie

yatznet
Team Player

i already did, it seems to be fine on there's

Yatznet
Community Team

Hi yatznet

Thanks for your reply.

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Please can you post back on this thread tomorrow morning and we can check for further updates on this fault.

Thanks

Debbie