Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

constant disconnections, wireless

7 REPLIES 7
Jamieheron1
Participant

hello, i have fiber internet and i keep getting disconnected from wireless every so often when playing games or surfing the internet.

i've tried reconnecting everything and it still occurs, wired connection is not possible, this is not what i pay for, i've had service for over a year and haven't encountered this before

any help appreciated 

martswain
Philosopher

If you have a "Super Router" or "HUB" give the two WiFi bands different names so you can see whether you are connected to 2.4 or 5 Ghz.

Is the actual WiFi connection to your devices dropping or is it just the internet disappearing whilst WiFi remains solid ?

What do the router lights show when you have the problem ?

Has anything changed in your local environment, new equipment etc

If you have close neighbours, such as living in a flat or terraced property, WiFi interference could be an issue.

Suggest downloading a WiFi analyser and seeing if you are on the best channel for your location.

Martin
Jamieheron1
Participant

I've changed the names of both of them, and I logged into the 5Ghz channel on my ps4, the connection stays it just experiences lag, so im kicked out of an online game or can't load a website.

where do I get a WiFi analyser?

thanks,

Highlighted
martswain
Philosopher

@Jamieheron1 wrote:

where do I get a WiFi analyser

Depends on your device and OS.

Just "Google" it or search the Play Store, many free APPS.

No idea about Apple devices.

Martin
Community Team

Hi Jamie,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Have you noticed if any of the lights change on the router when the connection drops?

Thanks

Jamieheron1
Participant

I downloaded a Wifi Analyser but it doesn't tell me which is the best channel to use. And unfortunately I can't see the router when the connection drops as I'm upstairs

Jamieheron1
Participant

In the statistics page it says 26992 errors, also how do i change the wifi channel

Community Team