would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

fibre large intermittent slow speeds and maybe drop issues

13 REPLIES 13
Sephriem
Wizz Kid

Hi guys,

I seem to be having a lot of breaks in the internet lately and only recently noticed the speed has dropped down to 15Mb to the router reads.

A little confused really. There has been an additional TTB connection that's been added recently but thats an independent service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it) and what firmware version is it running?
2. What is the exact status of the lights on the front of the router when this happens?
3. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Sephriem
Wizz Kid

Hey Keith thanks for reminding me to apply more info.

The Router is TTs new Sagem based WiFi Hub

Light is just white in use and constant when it drops, it seems to just drop everything for just a moment, so getting a look at the status indicator then would be tough but I'll stay vigilant.

Yes all WiFi and Wired connections drop, any active connections with data transfer will error, videos/VoIP etc will all disconnect.

Hope that helps some all 🙂

Community Team

Hi Sephriem,

Thanks for the additional information and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable for just over 72hrs. Just to confirm, when did you last experience any drops in connection? What speeds were you receiving previously?

Thanks

Sephriem
Wizz Kid

It may be cause I'm using a mobile phone, but I can't seem to upload a screenshot but yes the router reports 15mb sync speed for the last 3 days. One error for me occurred yesterday which disconnected a wired device connected direct to the router during VoIP call and another WiFi device that was simply loading a webpage simultaneously, this has happened a few times recently, but this is the one that sparked coming here.

Previous speeds report by yourself was 30/5.9 in May this year.

Many thanks for getting back so quick @OCE_Michelle 

Community Team

Hi Sephriem

Thanks for your reply.

Is your router connected at the test socket?

You could try splitting the SSIDs on your router and testing the connection between the 5gh channel and the 2gh channel, some phones operate better with just 1 channel selected. 

Log into the router  (192.168.1.1 etc ) and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

Give this a try , test with both SSID's and see if the connection improves.

Debbie

Sephriem
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie,

Generally any WiFi device is set up manually on basedt network  on usage distance and age, portable devices through both 2.4 and 5 though.

There's only 3 stationary WiFi devices in the house (smart TVs, assistances etc) so they just lock into 2.4Ghz.

Wired devices are either direct or through a switch in the house (it's the direct one I saw drop)

We also have a guest WiFi network that is broadcast on separate channels on 2.4 and is based on  a Talk Talk Business line, so completely separate.

The line was recently installed though, and despite asking for a new line the open reach engineer insisted that it was better to put both internet connections through one physical line and and I wouldn't receive any performance  drop from the residential line, it had extra end points or some, but like I said that's an entirely different part of TT,  However the residential router has still dropped significantly under guaranteed speeds.

I haven't tried putting it through the test port but will do that now, something's can be monitored further. Many thanks again for speedy replies

Community Team

Hi Sephriem

Thanks for your reply.

If you could leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs then we can check the connection stats again to see if the sync speed starts to increase in this set up.

Thanks

Debbie

Sephriem
Wizz Kid

Hi guys, I left it going the weekend at first when I had reconnected it all it was back to its 30~ Mbs , checking today for the fire time though the router is syncing back at 15Mbs 😞

Community Team

Hi Sephriem

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 15mb. There were re connections on the line from 09/07 until 14/07. Has the router been rebooted or is the connection dropping?

Thanks

Debbie

Sephriem
Wizz Kid

Thanks for getting back @OCE_Debbie.
Friday I plugged into the test socket 05/07 is the only time I've touched it and prior to that was checking the router stats.

There has been one power cut recently in my area but I don't recall it being within that particular time frame.

it's only this line thats effected.
the ither is completely normal.
though they are both the same physical line.

Community Team

Hi Sephriem

Thanks for your reply.

If you have tested with a different router at the test socket then I can pass the intermittent connection/slow speed fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Sephriem
Wizz Kid
@debbie sorry for the late reply. It's been a couple of weeks now since we last spoke, I've seen now change at all unfortunately with the tests.

If you're able to pass it up I'd greatly appreciate it.
Community Team

Hi Sephriem,

I'm sorry for the delay. Can I just confirm that you've recently tested with an alternative router and I'll pass this straight over for investigation?

Thanks