Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

fibre not working properly speedtest different to bt test

27 REPLIES 27
sharky110
Wizz Kid

@  hi my broadband is not working properly just done a speed test in bt test ping 28 upload 9.09 download speed 22.97 which is crap but you go to talk talk speed test and say excellent speed excetera why is talk talk speed test always good  when my true speed is also went on live chat for them to tell me they cannot help because there system is down this is a joke how am I supposted to get my internet working can anyone help please 

Kieran
Divsec
Community Star

HiSharky, your post has been flagged for assistance. You don't mention what you expect, have had previously and what you are paying for? Hard to agree with you without this info.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi

Sync is showing at 40mb with a throughput of 38mb and latency of 8ms.

Speedtest sites can give different results based on their location and server traffic so it's always best not to put to much faith in one specific speed test site.  I always find it better to download a file from a UK based site or mirror and look at the actual throughput speed achieved.

Thanks

Karl. 

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl thanks karl but that still doesn't  help me with my internet  not working properly I having trouble connecting  to websites etc. 

Kieran
Community Team

Hi

All line tests are clear and the router is in sync at 40mb with no errors showing. 

The throughput speed showing directly at the router is currently 37.9mb.

Are you seeing issues from a wired device or only from wireless (wifi) connected devices ?

Can you describe the issues you are seeing.

Thanks

Karl. 

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl  its wireless just seems to lose connection  and getting  on websites firestick cant find home due to internet 

Kieran
Community Team

Hi,

Log into the router and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

I often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate.  For example, I have changed mine, and call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz.  

Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel  for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

There are apps you can download that can show the wireless channels in use.  For example I use WiFi analyser for Android to show the wifi channels in use around me and this allows me to set the least congested channel.

Give this a try and see if the connection improves.

Thanks

Karl.

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl ok thanks I will try that 

Kieran
Community Team
sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl hi I have changed the network  names I will keep an eye on it and see how the connection  goes 

Kieran
wgcuser
Wise Owl

@sharky110

If I may, I'd like to add a few observations?

Recently I had a problem with my TalkTalk Fibre Upgrade and an OpenReach Engineer kindly put his speed test modem on the end of the internal extension (the service is FTTC) and measured a speed very close to the 40Mbs suggested by TalkTalk.

Later I did my own speed test using the TT Hub, Ethernet and Win 10pro PC (old Dell C521) and Consumers Assoc. Broadband Test - result about 7Mbs download, not the 'brill' result I was expecting! This was repeated with a Wi-Fi Hudl (android) better speed about 20Mbs.

Finally I pressed into service an inherited 6 year old PC (Zoostorm) running Win 7, again TT Hub, Ethernet. Ah!! Much better speed and close to the 40Mbs target.

I suspect that there is more to this speed business than just the service. Hardware? Network Card? O/S? Speed test client? - Who knows?

Community Team

Hi sharky110 

Thank you. Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@wgcuser yes I think you could be correct  mate 

Kieran
sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl hi I have changed network  names but I am trying to connect  my xbox wirelessly but I am still seeing the old network name ie.  my original network and the signal on those networks is better why is this pleased 

Kieran
Community Team

Hi

I can see the wifi names have changed.  It is possible the xbox is retaining the old details.

Can you reboot the router and then try again and see if the xbox can see the new network names.

Thanks

Karl. 

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl I have rebooted router should the old ones still be there showing a better signal or am I doing something  wrong

Kieran
sharky110
Wizz Kid

@Divsec hi I am paying for super fast fibre seems to be taking a long time to download  stuff at moment 

Kieran
Community Team

Hi

If the wifi names have been changed in the router then the old names should not be showing.  This could be remembered by the device.  Are the new names showing and can you connect to these.

Thanks

Karl. 

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl I've managed to connect  xbox could only connect to 2g network cant connect 5g moved onto firestick connection will only connect to 2g if I connect to 5g says connected  with  problems 

Kieran
Community Team

Hi

Depending on the layout of the house, thickness of walls etc and  any wifi interference around you affecting the 5Ghz channel band you may need to look at trying a few other 5Ghz channels or setting this to Auto channel selection.  If that fails then you may want to think about wifi extenders to improve the signal strength in key areas of the home.

Thanks

Karl.