Need help?

fibre not working properly speedtest different to bt test

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl hi router is set to auto also already have wifi extenders 

Kieran
Community Team

Hi

You may be trying to connect directly to the router wifi for some of these devices rather than the wifi extender itself.

Thanks

Karl. 

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl sorry mate dont understand what you mean 

Kieran
Community Team

Hi

The WiFi extenders usually have their own SSID to connect to, although I've not used any of these myself.

@KeithFrench - You have used the wifi extenders before, am I correct in assuming these will have their own SSID rather than mirror the ssid of the router ?

Thanks

Karl.

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Karl yes I have they are connected to the internet I have not connected to wifi extenders before I just connect to internet at the moment  on wireless only use wireless  web pages taking a while to open content 

Kieran
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @sharky110 

@OCE_Karl has asked me to confirm how the extenders work in this respect. They do have their own SSIDs (network names) & these normally clone the ones on your router, but this can fail. You do need to make sure that the router & extender do not use WiFi channels in the 2.4GHz band that interfere with each other (I can help a lot with this).

What I recommend, assuming that your router supports Band Steering (HG633 V2.00 & TalkTalk WiFi hub only), is to set the router SSID for both the 2.4 & 5GHz bands to something like:-

MyNetwork

and repeat this on the WiFi extender - this will require logging on to the extender's web interface (I can supply details on how to do this). The passphrase must also be identical on both router & extender as well.

This way any 5G compatible device uses the best signal out of the router's 2 bands & the extender's 2 bands all automatically.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

sharky110
Wizz Kid

@KeithFrench thanks that would be a big help I set them up as per instructions when I got them but I am a bit lost now any help you supply would be greatly recieved but can do an idiots guide for me please 

Kieran
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi Kieren,

Sorry, I only have the one version, but anything you do not understand, let me know. I have attached the latest version below. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?