Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

fibre speed boost not working

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Participant

Hi,

I renewed 2 days ago with the understanding that the fibre speed boost would be included. It is showing on my account, but not on my broadband speeds. I chatted to a couple of representatives yesterday, went through the "turn the router off for 30 minutes" routine, had my line checked from their end - all was in order.

They suggested the new wi-fi hub would solve it. It arrived today. It didn't solve it. My speed is pretty much the same as before the boost. 

Wired connection. Master socket. Someone help, please, before the 20 day "i changed my mind" is up.

"We estimate your download speed will be between <73.6> and <65> Mbps. Your actual download speed may vary depending on the quality and length of your line, wifi connection and also how many people in your house that are online at the same time. Your actual download speed may also be lower than the range that we have given you. Your minimum guaranteed download speed is <59.9> Mbps"

This is from the new router. 

StatusConnection TimeLink StatusStandardLine EncodingLink encapsulation

UP
00h12m57s
UP
VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
DMT
ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

DownstreamUpstream
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Honeypuff,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however it looks like DLM is still optimising the connection at the moment. Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Thank you for your reply, Michelle. I will check when I get home. Hopefully, unplugging it yet again will not aggravate the DLM process.

In the meantime, can you please confirm that the speed boost has actually been applied? 

When I did a service status check the other day, it said my download speed was around 40 and that it was within expected range - surely the expected range for Fibre Speed Boost is higher than that?

Furthermore, on my account page, Fibre Speed Boost is showing under my "flexible Broadband boosts", but it is not showing in my Broadband details, unlike the super safe boost which is showing in both fields (pic attached). Also, clicking on "manage broadband boosts" only allows me to manage the super safe boost.

talktalk.jpg

Highlighted

Hi Honeypuff,

Yes the speed boost is active, your router is currently in sync at 45.9Mbps, if the speed boost wasn't active then your maximum sync speed would be 40.0Mbps.

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

That's reassuring. Thanks, Chris.

So can I expect the speed to inch its way up to 60 mbps while DLM does its thing?

Or should I be playing around with the test socket?

Highlighted

No Problem 🙂

How many telephone sockets do you have?

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

I have the one socket. I removed the face plate and plugged directly into the test socket. Waited half an hour and turned router on.

Broadband speed is unchanged from before plugging into test  socket - router showing 45.9.

Any further suggestions?

Highlighted

Hi Honeypuff

Thanks for your reply.

Has the router been connected at the test socket for 48hrs?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie,

My Fire TV acted up so I reset the router around the 36 hour mark. It will have been on 48 h, uninterrupted, on Tuesday around noon. 

Physically connected to the test socket all along.

Speed is stable at 46, so still over 20% slower than promised minimal speed 😞 

Highlighted

Hi Honeypuff,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, do you have a dial tone? Any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Hi,

I do not have a phone so can't really tell. 

Broadband is stable though and the connection doesn't drop or fluctuate in speed, it's just not as fast as I was promised when I renewed.

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

Highlighted

Would you be able to borrow a telephone, from friend or neighbour, to test your line with? It would be helpful if you could, so that we can see if there are any voice issues

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Chris,

I brought a phone from work. It worked great - voice during conversation was clear, no interference or noise whatsoever. Line tone was normal as well.

Highlighted

Hi Honeypuff,

Thanks for testing this. Could I just confirm, what is the make and model of the previous router and do you still have this router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant
It was a Huawei HG633. I returned it, as per the instructions that came with the new router.

Changing the router was one of the proposed solutions (that does not seem to have worked). The download speed with the Huawei was in the low 40s.
Highlighted
Participant

It was a Huawei HG633. I returned it, as per the instructions that came with the new router. 

The download speed with the old router was in the low 40s and changing it was one of the suggested solutions.

Highlighted

Hi Honeypuff

Did you connect this router for at least 48hrs? (we advise to allow DLM at least 48hrs to make changes to the line profile)

I think we should send another HG633 router just to see if the speed increases. Are you happy for me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant
Hi Debbie,

Yes, it had been connected for 48 hours.

I am not sure why this router would outperform the "new, better and improved" wi-fi hub, but, if you think it might, do send it and we'll give it a try.

Highlighted

Hi Honeypuff

The replacement router is on its way. If the speed increases with this router then we will ask our Products Team to take a look at this.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks, Debbie. I'll keep you posted!