Just set up a this new router as a replacement for a faulty hg635, and I am having some issues with it, not able to connect sometimes, especially with android devices such as firesticks.
Upon looking at previous posts, maybe a firmware update might help?
My firmware is SG4K10001400T.
Can you help with this?
Thanks for that. With regards to the connection issue: The wifi password was too short for android devices it seems. Strange since desktop connected ok.
The service check is showing an issue on speed. Only 22Mb when it should be faster, also a software update for the router.
Can you help with these at all?
I've checked the connection stats and I can see some re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.
Has the router been rebooted?
Would it be possible to leave the router switched on without rebooting for 48hrs to see if DLM starts to increase the speed/change the profile?
Don't think it was rebooted but cant be sure since not here all the time.
I will try to keep it on as requested.
With regards the recommendation that the software is out of date on the router, cant see that effecting it can you?
I'm sorry for the delay. I've checked and the router now has the latest version of firmware. Could you bump your thread tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats to see how both the stability and sync speed compares.
Your sync speed hasn't improved unfortunately
How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone sockets in addition to your router?
Does your master socket have a Test Socket?
Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?
In a previous post, I wrote: "Just for your information, I think I have had this speed since I have had the fibre broadband and just thought it was a limitation of the lines so to speak."
It was not the case. Looking back a few years on a previous thread, an OCE said my sync speeds were OK. I was having an issue with wireless speed which a new PCIe wireless card solved.
Thanks for your reply.
If you have tested with a different router at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.
I haven't got another router to test with, however I was getting these speeds with the HG635 router that got replaced with the sagemcom.
I cant think of anything else at this point.
If you could arrange a engineer that would be great.
Please advise and thanks for your help.