would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

fluctuating fibre speeds

9 REPLIES 9
dites
Chatterbox

Hi,

Over last couple months or so I've been having trouble with our connection. My mac desktop is connected to the router via lan cable, along with have several other devices (but these are not always in use) We also have a couple phones on wifi. During the last while we've been having extremely varying speeds. While doing  speed tests to monitor, They are fluctuating as high as 49 mbps to as low as 12 mbps. Upload is always constant around 12 mbps.The router light doesn't change from white but during one of my many phone and chat conversations with technical support it was noticed that router had been intermittently disconnecting. 

An engineers visit was arranged were he didn't find any issues but did replace the main box to the newest face plate. Since visit still getting the fluctuating speeds but now the highest I see are in the low 30 mbp's.

I've tried all the usual resetting the router and leaving it off for a couple of hours to try and fix it but nothing is helping.

Starting to get very frustrated at getting told the same thing every time I deal with technical support 😞

Thanks very much.

Community Team

Hi dites,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

dites
Chatterbox

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reply. There is a slight background noise on telephone but there was a BT engineer out only a few weeks ago. He found one minor issue, one wire was a little bit loose and he replaced the main box with the newest faceplate. 

I have two phone sockets but only the master is in use with only the phone and router cables attached. 

Regards 

Davy

Community Team

Hi dites,

Thanks for confirming this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. The connection looks stable and the sync speed looks consistent. Just to confirm, which router are you using? (make and model) Does the speed immediately increase if you reboot the router?

Thanks

dites
Chatterbox

Hi

Yes I have had several line test's done with the same result as I have been in touch with tech support on numerous occasions. Even while on phone before doing these tests with tech and being asked to do speed checks, the speeds were still fluctuating. 

I have the latest wifi hub and the speed definitely increases after rebooting. One time an agent reset router from his side and for a few days I got the best speeds I'd ever seen, then the same problem arose. 

Thanks

Community Team

Hi dites,

Do you have an alternative router that you could test with to rule this out?

Thanks

dites
Chatterbox

Hi Michelle, 

Sorry but I don't have another router I can use to test with. 

Thanks

Community Team

Would you like me to send one? If you let me know we'll get one out to you 🙂

Chris

dites
Chatterbox

Hi Chris,

Yes that would be great.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi dites

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie