cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

high latency

Community Team

Hi stokeash,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've re-run the line test which is clear, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped and there are re-connections on the line. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

stokeash
Chat Champion
Hi, No problem.

Yes it is I haven't touched it since I've just left the micro filter in the test socket and not put the faceplate back.

The connection just seems really hit and miss at the moment there's no consistency at all with latency it can be fine for an hour then unusable. Speed seems stuck at around 8-9mb when we were hitting 18mb for about a year. Its definitely worse at peak times too.

Its just if Openreach can be bothered to fix it completely or if they will just patch it up again for a few months. It wouldn't surprise me if some equipment needs replacing but with there being so few houses its probably not cost effective to replace the telephone lines.

Thanks
Community Team

Hi stokeash,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can you confirm if you've recently tested with an alternative router and if the line is also clear of any noise and we can pass the drop in sync speed straight over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

stokeash
Chat Champion
Yes I can confirm.

Thanks
Community Team

Hi stokeash,

Thanks for confirming. I've passed this over to our Network Team now. Could you bump your thread tomorrow and we can re-check for an update for you.

Thanks

stokeash
Chat Champion
Hi, I’m still having the same issues speed hasn’t changed I’m stuck at around 8mb down from the previous 18mb.
Community Team

Hi stokeash,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've received an update back from our Network Team to advise that the line tests haven't detected a fault and the sync speed is within the predicted speed range for the line. 

They have said that they can see that quite a few devices are connected. Just to confirm, do you experience the latency with just one device connected?

Thanks

stokeash
Chat Champion
This is getting ridiculous now. So I can have 18-20mb internet for over a year and now I’m stuck with 8mb? Which is no better than adsl? So what’s the point in paying for fibre?

If anything it should be getting faster not slower with time.

So basically my options are to either downgrade to adsl or leave?
Community Team

Hi stokeash,

I'm sorry, I know it must be disappointing if you speed drops but if your speed is above the guaranteed minimum then Openreach don't see this as a fault even if your speed has been higher in the past

Chris

stokeash
Chat Champion

No it’s not disappointing it’s absolutely pathetic

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):

Clearly states there’s way more speed available There any idiot can see it. Lost for words I really am.

Community Team

Hi stokeash,

I've asked the network team if anything further can be done to improve your sync speed, I'll let you know when I receive an update

Chris

Community Team

Hi stokeash,

I'm sorry, our Network Team have said that as the speeds are within the predicted range any engineer visit will be chargeable with no guarantee that your speed will improve. They've said that lines do deteriorate but Openreach will only see this as a fault if the sync speed falls below the guaranteed minimum.

If you speed does fall further and drops below the guaranteed minimum please let us know and we can then raise this to Openreach

Chris

stokeash
Chat Champion
This is actually hilarious 😂 yes I’m
Sure a line can suddenly drop 10mb of speed for no reason that makes perfect sense when the noise margin is showing loads of room for improvement.

Never mind though it couldn’t of happened at a better time as we’re out of contract so I don’t need to downgrade to ADSL luckily. But just understand this.... I was hitting 8mb on ADSL and having fibre roughly doubled that speed which makes sense.

You’re now telling me I should be happy with ADSL speed on a FIBRE connection. There is zero logic in this whatsoever and the fact you haven’t even reset the line or tried anything actually amazes me.

I’ve had problems before and you’ve always fixed them and I’ve had good results and been happy but this time it’s been absolutely awful customer service and I could no longer recommend talk talk to anyone.

Can’t for the life of me understand your thinking on this one at all.
Community Team

Hi stokeash 

Apologies for this.

I can raise this as a complaint so it can be discussed further with a Complaints Manager. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

stokeash
Chat Champion
Its okay I don't see any progress being made if we do.

I find it hilarious your marketing team are now sending me letters offering me cheaper fibre to stay...…Why would I be stupid enough to pay for fibre when I'm getting ADSL speed? like maybe if my speed was still 18-20mb like it was for over a year but absolutely no chance now. Basically its like saying please stay but were going to do absolutely nothing to fix your issue but make sure we charge you for fibre prices! yeah because that's really tempting!
stokeash
Chat Champion
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:08:30
Downstream: 20.44 Mbps
Upstream: 634 Kbps

And there’s we have it guys proof I was fully in the right!
Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

Dis you get it sorted in the end?

Gareth wigglesworth