Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

internet disconnecting

26 REPLIES 26
kellyh72
Popular Poster

the last week or two our internet keeps disconnecting on every device. it does it at random times of the day but mostly in the evenings. it will disconnect for about 20 seconds and then reconnect. it wouldn't bother me but my daughter plays online games and when it disconnects it totally kicks her out of anything shes playing. an example would be last night it did this weird disconnecting reconnecting thing about 5 times in about half an hour around 11/12pm. we had an engineer out on tuesday who fixed a supposed fault, so our speed has improved now but it didnt fix the random disconnects. its getting really annoying, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Community Team

Hi kellyh72

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. Are you connected wired or wireless when you experience these drops?

Thanks

Debbie

kellyh72
Popular Poster

ive tried wired and wireless and it still drops with both

Community Team

Hi kellyh72

Thanks for your reply.

Have you tested with a different router?

Debbie

kellyh72
Popular Poster

no, ill have to test it when i get home later

Community Team

Hi kellyh72

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

kellyh72
Popular Poster

that would be great if you could

Community Team

Hi kellyh72

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

kellyh72
Popular Poster

thank you 

ill let you know if that worked

Community Team
kellyh72
Popular Poster

hi, sorry for the slow reply.

i have plugged the new router in and left it a few days and once again its still disconnecting.

its doing it more now than it.did with the old router. once every two minutes some days. its getting ridiculous now, i cant do anything online for more than a minute without it disconnecting. my children are getting very frustrated

Community Team

Hi kellyh72,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test is now showing a potential fault towards the property. Does your master socket have a test socket? Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone?

Thanks

kellyh72
Popular Poster

when the engineer came out he said he fixed the fault that was between our house and something on the street.

the dial tone is fine, i can make calls and recieve them and i believe we have a test socket, when the engineer came out he gave us a new socket because ours was very outdated

Community Team

Hi kellyh72,

Just to confirm, does your master socket look like this?

Your guide to master sockets

If it does have a test socket then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can re-run the line test again?

Thanks

kellyh72
Popular Poster

our test socket looks like the bottom picture, the one with bt open reach written on it, its pre filtered

Community Team

Hi kellyh72,

I'm sorry for the delay. This should have a test socket. Do you also have any extension sockets and any other equipment connected to the line apart from the router and phone?

Thanks

kellyh72
Popular Poster

theres nothing else connected to the socket just the phone and the internet and im pretty sure we dont have any extension sockets

Community Team

Hi kellyh72,

Ok, would it be possible to test the router and phone at the test socket for 24hrs to see if the connection is still unstable? If the connection is still unstable then we can pass this straight over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

kellyh72
Popular Poster

okay i will do that now, ill reply again when its done 

kellyh72
Popular Poster

i have connected it to the test socket by the front door but the front light just keeps flashing orange