Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

just upgraded to fast 150 and initial speed test is slower

15 REPLIES 15
NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

as title says, is this normal, or was it just due to a speed test at 3pm on a monday being peak times? 50 down 15 up

i was getting more than that during the lockdown, 60 down and 18 up...

is this just a temporary thing or is there an issue

Space Engineers RULES, oh and ive just got into ARK: SE
OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Nikolas,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Are you running the speed tests wired or wireless?

Thanks

NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

now 3 weeks, speed tests are the same, all wired, no one else using the internet.

im using archer vr2800 with the openreach modem, i saw a post of a user with that one but his situation resolved itself and was not the same issue...

any suggestions?

to note, i had a similar slow speed issue about 4-5 years back when i was upgraded to VDSL from ADSL at my previous address (still with talktalk), the exchange box was wired incorrectly, the up to 80Mbps connection was wired to someone elses phone line, (probably the engineer's dumbed down explanation), fortunately they were not using the internet there, is it possible something similar has happened again?

NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

update: i upgraded the archer vr2800 firmware, no change, then i connected my laptop directly to the modem, i got the full 150Mbps download that i should have, but the upload speed is still around 13Mbps, so this is a new problem.

the archer vr2800, when i got the new openreach modem through i factory restored the defaults except username and password, this time today i have fully restored it, and i am now getting the better download speed on that router, but i am still ol getting 13Mbps upload, i was getting around 19-20Mbps upload when on VDSL2, dont get me wrong the download speed improvement is great, but i was also looking forward to going UP in upload speed (to host a small game server), now i would have been ok if there was no improvement to upload speed, but i can not settle for a drop in upload speed, if that cant at least get back to 19-20Mbps, then i would rather go back to my old VDSL2 to get that upload speed back, though i am now hoping you can trigger something on your end to bump speeds up.
I can plug in the supplied sagecom router for a month or so, but then i will be needing the QoS feature that the archer vr2800 has so the game server can get internet traffic priority over everything else.

NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

Update 2: (on topic), upload speed still under what i was 'promised' when i signed up for the upgrade to fast 150, and whats worse, its less than what i was getting before the upgrade.

(kind of off topic) after setting all the port forwardings necessary for my private ARK Survival Evolved server for me and a friend, i can not join it. it comes up with the password like always, but after entering the correct password for the server, it 'times out' (from in the ARK game).  i was able to join my own ark server without problem with my archer vr2800 router.

so, next step was disable the router's firewall and UPnP... NOPE, there is no option to do this for either of those features in talktalk's terrible router.

i enabled Allow Edge Traversal for the inbound firewall rules on the server (and my main PC) and still nothing...

i also had to get around some issues with the DNS server not being set correctly for that computer (behind an extra network switch/hub) yet my main computer had it set properly (not behind an extra network switch/hub), fortunately talktalk's terrible router allowed me to manually set DNS server addresses that the router gives to DHCP clients, so i could make the router give other computers the routers address as the DNS address, instead of the external DNS addresses that were default, so another bug there maybe.

me and my friend play on my ARK server every day, so as it stands now, i can not use the talk supplied router, its a slow buggy mess, missing important options for users like me.

OCE_Michelle

Hi Nikolas,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've re-run the line test now which is still clear and the connection stats look consistent. Would it be possible to test the TalkTalk router to see how this compares?

Thanks

NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

i did run the speed tests multiple times (forgot to mention) while i had the talktalk supplied router plugged in, the speeds were the same 140+down and 13-15 up, (variance depending on time of day), and this was the same with no router at all, plugging the modem directly into my laptop, could there be a fault with the Openreach modem that the engineer brought with him?

Or perhaps some incorrect wiring in the cabinet? a previous engineer that visited me for the above mentioned bad cabinet wiring issue at my old address did say most of the cabinets around here have some incorrect wiring, with the cabinet for my old address being the worst. (Incorrect wiring is meant instead of bad wiring, meaning the cabinets wired up partially wrong when first built).

the download speed is great, far above what i was 'promised' on the upgrade signup page, what is the upload speed that your 'stats' say i should be getting?

OCE_Michelle

Hi Nikolas,

I'm sorry for the delay. The line test is still clear, however the upstream sync rate hasn't increased. Has the set up changed at all since the engineer installed this. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the overall performance of the connection? Is the current upload speed causing any performance issues?

Thanks

NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

there was no 'install', the modem was just plugged into the socket, i had to do this due to some other issues i have here, one of them being very small amount of space to access the socket.

i then plugged the red ethernet cable from the modem into my own router and set that up accordingly, as it was my router, he just checked the status lights on the modem, said they are all green, and left and said there was no point remaining. I have just installed a small higher quality DSL cable from the modem to the wall socket, there was no change to the upload speeds.

ifanyonecan
Whizz Kid

Hi

Don't think the vr2800 supports g.fast as it does not have the latest g.fast standard 

ITU-T G.9701 according to the specifications on TP-Link web site.

Mark

NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

im sorry, you have just annoyed me, either you didnt read properly or you dont know what you are talking about...

the facts...

1, yes my router vr2800 does not support g.fast, but the router talktalk supplied does not officially support g.fast either, BOTH the talktalk supplied sagecom 5364 router AND my vr2800 are being used in router mode, neither are using the onboard modem functions, which is why there is a separate modem supplied by Openreach!

2, I was also getting the same low upload speeds when the modem was plugged directly into my laptop, with no router attached at all, and dont give me any rubbish like 'thats not how its designed to be used', the modem is the device supporting the g.fast standard which is actually how a lot of household broadband setups were originally, without a router), the router is sharing that internet connection for multiple devices, my router is doing that job just fine, it just happens to have a feature i need that the sagecom 5364 does not have.

i apologise in advance if i have made you look stupid, but what do you expect? 

i just want the internet upload speed equal or greater to what i had before, which is the whole point of upgrading, i didnt start this support ticket to point out other's mistakes, i just want the internet speeds im supposed to have.

OCE_Chris

Hi NikolasMarch

Your current sync speed is 156.0Mbps down, 15.9Mbps up. Your upstream speed is well within the predicted range for your line.

Your line profile isn't restricting your upstream speed, is the modem situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference? Is it connected to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other device?

Chris

NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

the modem is not near other devices, and it now has a short cable to the wall socket, it was the same when it had the long cable, and was far away from other devices, including the laptop i tested it with, without a router between.

both my vr2800 and the previous talktalk supplied router had almost the full upstream connection when i was on VDSL2(+) using both router's built in VDSL2(+) modem.

The upstream is around 5-6Mbps (varying depending on time of day) less than what i was getting on VDSL2(+), i upgraded MAINLY for the improved upstream bandwidth, with the downstream being a side benefit (please note i would have also been ok with the same upstream bandwidth as on VDSL2+), yet the downstream is worse, i did not expect the upstream on a better 'connection protocol' to be worse than what i already had.

OCE_Chris

I appreciate what you are saying but there isn't really anything that we can do from our end to improve the upstream speed and we can't raise this as a fault to Openreach as your speeds are well within acceptable limits. Your line profile isn't capping your speed either, the profile that you are on will allow an upstream sync speed of up to 30Mbps

Chris

NikolasMarch
Popular Poster

so could it be a fault with the modem, is there a way to upgrade the firmware on the modem?

i can try the powering it down overnight idea again later...

OCE_Chris

Well the speed is within the expected range so this doesn't indicate a fault anywhere. The Openreach modem would have it's firmware automatically updated by Openreach. Yes you could try switching the modem off again for 30 minutes