Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

lenovo G50 no longer connects to talktalk wireless since upgrading to FF150

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi there, so I have a nice lenovo G50 laptop with windows 10 and recently I've been trying to use it again (I have a 5 month old son so haven't had much chance) and it constantly gives me an unhelpful message stating "Unable to connect to the network" when I try to connect to the wifi. I phoned the support line and was left aghast at just how rubbish their technical knowledge is, god I miss the days when you could speak to someone at an ISP who would actually know their stuff. 

The laptop connects fine to the wifi at my work, and my phones, smart tv, mac book and other devices connect to the wireless router fine. 

Is it possible that the issue is the fact that the router does 5ghz? Does the router not also support 2gz? I had a look at some of the settings on the 192.168.1.1 router page but nothing seemed to be working for me. It also doesn't help that windows 10 makes it maddeningly less and less possible to look at technical settings for certain aspects of the system. 

Can anyone who has had a similar issue please advise? 

The router I have is this one

https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/39

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi dcultrapro,

I'm sorry to hear this. Which router are you using? (make and model) Have you tried separating the SSID's? What happens when you try to connect, do you receive any error messages?

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

I provided the link to the wireless router that I have, its the new wifi hub one with the orange dots. 

I also mentioned that when I attempt to connect, all windows 10 says to me is "unalbe to connect to network" but I can connect via ethernet and the laptop connects to other wifi networks fine. 

I don't know what you mean by separating the SSID's, what does that entail?

Thanks @OCE_Michelle just read the article you shared about splitting the SSIDs but it doesn't explain how to actually do that, any info would be appreciated. Thanks 

Highlighted

Hi,

Log into the router at 192.168.1.1    username :  admin   password on the back of the router under the wireless card.

When logged in, click on See Internet Settings, then on Advanced Settings.

Under advanced settings you should see the  two wifi channels, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Click the little blue cog for 5Ghz and change the SSID.  You can change it entirely oy just add something to the end such as 5G so you can identify it.

When done, click apply to save the changes and then close down the browser window.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted

Hi,

Log into the router at 192.168.1.1    username :  admin   password on the back of the router under the wireless card.

When logged in, click on See Internet Settings, then on Advanced Settings.

Under advanced settings you should see the  two wifi channels, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Click the little blue cog for 5Ghz and change the SSID.  You can change it entirely oy just add something to the end such as 5G so you can identify it.

When done, click apply to save the changes and then close down the browser window.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
First Timer
Hi there, ok cool will give that a go when I get in from work tonight. I have tried a number of things such as changing the hz and channel etc (I could see a drop down which allowed me to switch between 80hz and 40hz) but that didn't seem to do anything
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi @OCE_Karl @OCE_Michelle thanks mate! Splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz worked a treat, I assume there is some issue with the laptop and 5ghz but not sure what it might be, but hey, as long as I'm online. It just hacks me off that those idiots on the phone line in that call centre in whatever country its based in, don't give a toss about helping customers with technical issues like this, for someone who knows their stuff, its relatively simple to explain. Anyway at least its fixed.

Thanks again!

Highlighted

Hi dcultrapro

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie 🙂