Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

newtownards internet service cut off; likely openreach service problem

21 REPLIES 21
brotherdeluxe
Participant

my internet service is not working. my landline is fine. my HG635 router is fine -- all green lights and broadcasting, devices can connect to it, but router is not receiving any internet service. interestingly, several neighbours with BT service also report no internet. TalkTalk and BT both use Openreach network, so i feel my service problem and my neighbours' might be related

i tried explaining this to customer support, but that was a frustrating waste of time, as they slavishly went through the troubleshooting checklist and failed to read my messages, even though i repeatedly explained i'd already tried troubleshooting. apparently, the line check showed no errors and my service is up and running. bizarre. support also dismissed my information about the neighbours' service as not relevant

customer support is inflexible and cannot think beyond the checklist to react to information the customer supplies

please escalate this, as i use the internet to work from home

srjohnston80
Team Player

I live in Newtownards as well, Getting exactly the same problem with internet.  When I check the status on talktalk website, it says there is a fault and being worked on apparently. 

It went down yesterday morning and I had to go into work.  Not overly happy.

brotherdeluxe
Participant

@Gondola

@fr8ys 

hi, perhaps you can help out. Internet is still off. perhaps TT tech team could check with Openreach colleagues to see if any work was carried out in area, it might help with resolution

have asked neighbours with BT service to contact BT support and inform that my TT service is also out

one neighbour already reported that BT gave standard ‘sounds like router problem; will send new one’ rather than investigate. the fact that neighbours are also out, does suggest the problem lies with service and not with freak, simultaneous router problems.

have asked neighbours to contact BT again and not be fobbed off

two years ago the service to BT and TT was knocked off. Virgin were installing in street and again TT support were uninterested when i suggested they check with Virgin or Openreach engineers to check for faults — again just interested in going through the standard checklist. to be fair, contacted Virgin and Openreach myself and neither were much interested. Virgin had indeed cut the cable to the street. A little tech cooperation sorely needed, as resolving service faults is a big customer gripe

thanks

brotherdeluxe
Participant
Thanks for posting, as it adds to the case. Yes, just checked and says ‘working on fault’. Yesterday evening said everything was up and running with good speed! And when I contacted support, their checks said no faults detected! That’s perhaps more frustrating than the fault, as support become even less inclined to think the problem lies outside ‘user error’
Community Team

Hi brotherdeluxe

Apologies for the delay.

The line test is clear, are you still experiencing this fault?

Thanks

Debbie

brotherdeluxe
Participant
Same situation as already outlined.
No internet.
Landline fine.
Neighbours internet out.
Community Team

Hi brotherdeluxe

Apologies for this.

Please can you add your name to your Community Profile and an alternative contact number. I can then contact our Network Team for an update on this fault.

Thanks

Debbie

brotherdeluxe
Participant
Debbie, have added details. Appreciate your attention. Fact that several neighbours with BT are also experiencing same possibly points to Openreach or exchange problem.
Community Team

Hi brotherdeluxe

Thank you. Please can you also send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account (to ensure I have the correct details)

Debbie

Community Team

Hi brotherdeluxe

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have contacted our Network Team in regards to this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

brotherdeluxe
Participant

Thanks, Debbie. That’s the most progressive customer support response I’ve had so far on this problem

Community Team

Hi brotherdeluxe

Our Network Team have asked if your devices are getting any error messages? (when trying to connect)

Do you have a different router that you can test with?

Thanks

Debbie

brotherdeluxe
Participant
Get your network team to check with Openreach in the Newtownards area, thanks.
Community Team

Hi brotherdeluxe

Thanks for the Private Message.

I have advised our Network Team of this and I will post back shortly.

Debbie

srjohnston80
Team Player

Hello,

Yes I am still experiencing the issue.  When I run the test from the talktalk website, I get, there is a fault and it is being worked on.

The internet has been down now for over a day.  I was due to work from home yesterday and had to go to work, because of this.  

srjohnston80
Team Player
To further update. I am not getting internet on any device I connect, either wired or wireless. Eg Sky Q box, phone and PC connected via wireless and laptop via wired into the router.

Logging on to the router, it shows all green lights, when I check router status it shows connected and status of showtime. Router has been reset and rebooted.

Dropped about 10am yesterday. Does seem to be a fault in Newtownards area Co down Northern Ireland.
Community Team

Hi srjohnston80

Apologies for this.

Please can you create a new thread, we can then discuss this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi brotherdeluxe

Our Network Team have asked if you can now power down your router for a full 30 minutes?

Thanks

Debbie

brotherdeluxe
Participant
can do, but please tell me, is that in response to fault information, or is that just a 'let's see if this works' kind of request?

can you give any definitive information on the nature of the fault? has it been identified?

thanks
Community Team

Hi brotherdeluxe

If the fault is still present following the 30 minute power down of the router then we will need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie