cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

poor bb speeds

lee_thornton
Team Player

Thanks Chris. I really hope this gets sorted, iv been through a lot of hassle trying to get this resolved. Will keep my mobile phone on just in case they contact me.

lee thornton
OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Lee,

I know it must be frustrating but hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it

Chris

lee_thornton
Team Player

Hey Chris thanks for getting Openreach to look into this? Good fast Internet speeds for my tariff  have seemed to have returned. Do you know what they did? as i didnt get a visit. Do you have access to their work logs? Id like to know what the problem was thats all.

Will keep a close watch on quality and speeds in the coming days.

Many Thanks

-Lee

lee thornton
OCE_Debbie

Hi lee_thornton

Apologies, there are no notes or additional information from Openreach.

Has this been working ok since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

lee_thornton
Team Player

Its still back to normal yes. Are there any updates did openreach make any repairs. 

lee thornton
OCE_Debbie

Hi Lee

Apologies, Openreach have not provided any information in regards to what resolved this fault.

How has the connection been over the weekend?

lee_thornton
Team Player

The connection has been fine thanks. Touch wood this will continue. 

Many Thanks

lee thornton
OCE_Chris

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 

Chris

lee_thornton
Team Player

Well that didnt last long. Got &$*% speeds again!

router connecting at 46.3mbps and upload 0.4

Did a speed test....back down to 10-15 mbps and upload is Practically nill!!! Openreach SUX! 

lee thornton
lee_thornton
Team Player

TALKTALK have had about 6 months to get this fixed, what are going to do about it?

When will i be eligible to cancel my contract? 

lee thornton
stevew0808
Visitor

Lee... my understanding is that according to contract they have 30 days to fix the problem before they are in breach of contract and we can leave without penalty. Problem is... do we expect anyone to be any better? Customer service is appalling from Talk Talk. If there was a decent provider out there they would clean up.

lee_thornton
Team Player

Yeah i know, but in this case the issue is with Openreach not fixing the problem. 1st, 2nd, 3rd time. Maybe a 4th i cant remember as this has been ongoing for so long now. 

If this doesnt work out i want to go with Virgin Media, their cable system seems more stable than BT copper wiring. TalkTalk just basically lease all the network/Cabling from BT, but when faults happen TalkTalk are not on Openreach's top priority list to fix, as they look after BT first.

lee thornton
OCE_Chris

Hi Lee,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service again. Line test is passing and your line profile isn't limiting your speed. Could you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

lee_thornton
Team Player

Rebooting the router after 30 mins of being off didnt make any difference but a couple of days later my router now connects at 40mbps d/load and 15mbps upload. Speed test gives me about 36mbps and upload of about 12mbps. Much better than before but its still not right.

December through to February I had a stable connection of 70mbps and upload connection of 20 mbps. Speed tests would normally give me a solid 60-65 mbps d/l with about 18mbps u/load.

Could my router be on the wrong profile? I have the fiber65 package so the router should be connecting between 65-70, therefore should be achieving at least 55mbps download.

lee thornton
OCE_Michelle

Hi lee,

Thanks for trying this. I've run a test on the line which is clear, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped and the connection looks unstable. Does your main socket have a test socket? Have you also ever tested with a different router?

Thanks

lee_thornton
Team Player

Can i just say, we appear to be going round in circles. Iv DONE!!!! all this. Yes i have a spare Router which produces the SAME results. YES iv tested with the master socket plate OFF and connecting directly into the test socket. 

Right now my connection has dropped to about 8mbps and upload has again plummeted to 0.4

Please read this post history!

So what happens now? 

lee thornton
lee_thornton
Team Player

logging into the router the connection details is as follow

download 40mbps (normally 65)

upload 0.4mbps (normally 20)

Doing a wired speed test gives me the following.

ping 96ms!!!!! really really high should be about 7-15

download 9.26mbps!!!!! should be about 55-68

upload 0.20mbps!!!!!!!!! should be a stable 18!

So as you can see, the performance drop has returned.

One more important thing to add, if i pick up the land phone whilst the speed test is in progress the speed plummets down to zero with no internet for 1-2 minutes even though the router still shows a connection (reported this to talktalk and openreach back in nov-dec last year).

So im back to where i started all the way back in November of last year!

And because my upload rate is next to nothing im not able to play any online games which is the main reason for having this service. You could say im a little fed up with all this.....

lee thornton
OCE_Debbie

Hi lee_thornton

If the connection is dropping with 2 different routers, cables and filters at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange this visit?

Thanks

Debbie

lee_thornton
Team Player

Please arrange what will be a third OPENREACH engineer visit! They will need to contact me to pencil in a date that I will be available.

Thanks.

lee thornton
OCE_Debbie

Hi lee_thornton

Please can you provide a couple of days availability for this visit AM and PM?

I'm also sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie