Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

poor fibre broadband speed

56 REPLIES 56
Joseph3241
Team Player

For the 2nd time this year my d/load speed has dropped to just around 9.12 Mbps. Not exactly the 35 Mbps I am contracted for. Previously got 28 Mbps following a new contract and was OK with this. I've checked all the filters, wires, sockets etc and rebooted the router. HELP PLEASE!

JoeOokla speed test.JPG

KeithFrench
Community Star

Speedtests show that there is a problem, but that information alone is not enough to diagnose the problem.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Joseph3241,

If you'd like us to take a look at this for you can you complete your Community Profile and we'll be happy to help

Thanks

Chris

Joseph3241
Team Player
Done! Thanks for any help!
Community Team

Hi Joseph3241

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see that the sync speed is low (8mb)

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Have you tested with a different router?

Thanks

Debbie

Joseph3241
Team Player
Hi Debbie!
My phone socket unfortunately doesn't have a test socket and I'm afraid I don't have a spare router. Sorry!
J
markhewitt1978
Popular Poster

I have to say I have exactly the same issue. Normal 35mbit gone down to 9mbit with no changes at my side. 

Its seems all the asking for tests from TalkTalk is obfuscation to avoid looking for the real problem 

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments – appreciated! This is a recurrence of a problem that started in June/July. When my speed levelled out at 10/11 Mbps I’d had enough of doing the same tests over and over and decided to put up with it as it was fast enough for my Netflix streaming etc. About a month later my speed went up to 28Mbps for no apparent reason and stabilised at that. I would have stayed there quite happily but now it’s back to square one. Interesting to know I’m not the only person with this problem.

chamberspeter
Conversation Starter

Hi  Joseph3241  Joe - just wondering what your postcode is?  I'm in London SW12, and we are currently experiencing the same problem as you, i.e. 32Mbps is actually running at 5 or 2 or 1 - !

In the past, I have found this forum useful for getting help and attention from TalkTalk, which is just as well as it does seem that every so often the broadband service just collapses.

Best

Peter

--
Joseph3241
Team Player
Hi! I'm 200 miles away in Lancashire! Let's hope we get sorted soon!
Joe
Community Team

Hi Joe

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Debbie!
Yes, please send a replacement router for testing purposes - this will at least eliminate one possible cause of the problem.
Thanks,
JOokla speed test.JPG

Joseph3241
Team Player
Hi Keith,
Sorry I've not been able to send you the info you asked for just yet, been a bit busy over the holiday period. Hope to get it sorted soon but as a 75 year old I find I've to take my time with this technology!
In the meantime TalkTalk are sending me a replacement router to test with. I appreciate your help and will be in touch again soon.
Regards,
Joe
chamberspeter
Conversation Starter

SW12 in London vs Lancashire - ! - well at least my mother-in-law in Lytham will value your efforts keeping TalkTalk on their toes !! 🙂

'Debbie' has been helpful to me once again - we powered down our router for 30 mins, and once re-booted we were back to the speeds we have been paying for.

I can't help but think that monitoring and reporting on web connectivity and speeds ought to be automatic, with emails or texts when the system detects poor speeds and dropouts, so that the user has the chance to take corrective action BEFORE web access becomes critical - !! Cheers 🙂

--
Community Team

Hi Joe

The replacement router is on its way. Please can you leave the router connected for at least 48hrs whilst DLM is monitoring the connection with this router connected.

Thanks

Debbie

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

The replacement router has been connected for 3 days now and my d/load speed is slightly worse than expected - 7.51 d/l & 9.47 u/l.

Since I opted for "superfast" broadband my d/l speeds have varied between 35, 11, 28, 9 Mbps and now this. Hope you can help!

Joe

Joseph3241
Team Player

Sorry, forgot this!speed.JPG

Community Team

Hi Joe

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can see re connections on the line, is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Again!

The router has not been rebooted. The green wireless light is constantly flashing and the internet light flashes but at a slower rate ( 2or 3 times a minute).

Is this of any help?

Joe

Community Team

Hi Joe

Thanks for your reply.

Is the replacement router connected at the master socket? When you connected the new router did you also use the new cables and micro filter?

I can then raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie