Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

poor fibre broadband speed

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Debbie!

I've used the new micro filter into the socket I always use for my internet connection. It doesn't have a test socket and I have to use an extension cable to reach the router which is in a different room.

A friend did say he thought it was my profile that needs tweeking but I haven't a clue what he meant, but you will understand! I'm clutching at straws here!

Over to you!

Joe

Community Team

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately we can't manually change the profile for fibre connections as this is managed by DLM. DLM will adjust the speed based upon the stability of the connection.

Would it be possible to test the router directly at the master socket with the extension cable removed so we can see how the connection stats compares and to rule out any issues with the extension cable?

Thanks

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Michelle!

Thanks for your suggestion & I will try it asap but it might take me a couple of days as I have to move furniture around!

Cheers,

Joe

Community Team

OK, please let us know how you get on 

Thanks

Chris

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi All!

Finally managed to check the socket without the extension cable connected and the result was the same as before. The socket is in a bedroom and the cable extends to my office next door where the old PC needs an Ethernet connection.

The only other phone socket I have is in the kitchen and is not used although I have a filter plugged in. I connected my router to this but got the same results.

15/1/19               13.41                    d/load 7.26 Mbps             u/load 9.59 Mbps

I’m happy with the upload speed, don’t need any more than this, but d/load is far too slow especially when you consider that I recently received 35 Mbps!

Over to you,

Joe

Community Team

Hi Joe,

You speed is being limited by your line profile, it will take DLM at least 48 hours to respond to any improvement in connection stability/error count so are you able to leave the router connected without the extension lead?

Chris

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Chris!

Just a couple of questions:

Can the DLM line profile not be done if the extension is plugged in? This is how it’s always been and I need to connect the router via Ethernet to my PC ? or

Would it be better for me to buy a 5m Ethernet cable and reach my PC  this way rather than by the current router cable extension? Or maybe a USB wireless adapter?

Cheers,

Joe

Community Team

Hi Joe,

"Can the DLM line profile not be done if the extension is plugged in?"

Sorry, not sure what you mean. DLM will monitor the connection and adjust your line profile accordingly depending on the number of errors and/or disconnections. The point of testing without the extension is it will hopefully give a better connections with fewer disconnections/errors which will result in DLM moving you to a faster profile.

Yes it's generally better to have the router on a short ADSL cable and a longer Ethernet cable rather than the other way around

Chris

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Chris,

Update: I’ve disconnected the router extension cable and connected my office PC using a wireless dongle. The router is now connected directly into the phone socket via the splitter. Hopefully DLM will now be able to improve my speeds. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your patience!

Joe

Community Team

Thanks Joe, that's great. If you could bump  the thread on Monday we can check your connection stats and see if the change has had a positive affect 🙂

Chris

Joseph3241
Team Player

Worse, not better 😞

ookla.JPG

Community Team

Hi Joe

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed is still low.

Is the router at the test socket or at the master socket with the face plate connected?

Thanks

Debbie

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

The socket that I need to use (and have been for many years) does not have a test socket. I took off the cover today to check.

Joe

Community Team

Hi Joe

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket?

Debbie

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Debbie!

The socket I'm using upstairs is just an extension socket. In my kitchen there is a master socket which appears to have a test socket inside when I removed the cover.I don't want to use this for my router on a permanent basis but if it will help I can connect to the test socket for a couple of days. What do you think?

Joe

Community Team

Hi Joe

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs (just for testing purposes) so we can see if the speed starts to increase in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Router now connected to test socket & I'll leave it there for a while but I don't have a landline working now. Is this supposed to happen? There also seem to be some unconnected wires in the socket, bottom left. 

Joe

master socket.jpg

Community Team

Hi Joe

Thanks for your reply.

You can also connect the phone at the test socket with the router using the micro filter.

If you post back on this thread on Thursday then I can check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

Joseph3241
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

2 days on the test socket. No change!

Joe

speed test.JPG

Community Team

Hi Joe,

I've raised this to our network team for further investigation. Sorry if you've already been asked this but are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris