Did you mean: 
Need help?

port forwarding . Gaming.

ANSWERED
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Team Player

Hello all does anybody have any experience with port forwarding 

for gaming(ps4)?  I could do with some advice. 

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Star

I can certainly help you a lot with this. Which TCP or UDP ports do you wish to forward & what make/model of router do you have?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Keith.  Thanks.

Router HG633.

• TCP: 1024-1124,1935,3216,3478-3480,9960-9969,18000,18060,18120,27900,28910,29900
  • UDP: 1024-1124,3074,3478-3479,18000,29900,37000-40000

So i get to the point where i have to enter the port numbers in the router  interface

and Hmm?  .   Also i am considering buying a dedicated gaming router do you have 

any wisdom or thought on this?

Anyway thanks again kevin.

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

TThe only problem with the HG633 s when the device being forwarded to is connected to the router via some sort of network extender, but to be fair that is probably down to the extender, not the router.

To forward a port you will need to create a new Port Mapping application. You can do this by going to:-

Internet > Port Forwarding > New port mapping

Then click the "Add port mapping application" link. This will display the same list of applications, go down to the very bottom of the list, where an "Add port application" link will be found, click on that.

Then setup the application as per this example, using one application per port or per range of contiguous ports:-

Name : PS10241124
External port : 1024 1124
Internal port : 1024 1124
Protocol : TCP

Click Save.

Name : PS1935
External port : 1935 1935
Internal port : 1935 1934
Protocol : TCP

Click Save.

When back at your Port Mapping rule, set this as:-

Mapping Name : PS10241124
Application : PS10241124
Internal Host : PS4 (if it has both wired & wireless interfaces make sure you choose the correct one).

Repeat this for each PM rule, e.g.:-

Mapping Name : PS1935

Application : PS1935
Internal Host : PS4

To check the ports are open, make sure the device is connected & ready, then go to a port checking website from a device of yours connected locally to your router. A suitable one is:-

http://portchecker.co/

You may have problems checking that the port is open via a port checking website. This is because the port might use UDP. If TCP, a port checking site will work OK, but not if it is UDP. This is all down to the way UDP works, it does not have sessions like TCP, in your case one end sends out a UDP packet & doesn't care if it gets to the other end. This means the only way you can check it is from your internet application trying to access your local device.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Roger that Keith.

OK

Thank you.