Did you mean: 
Need help?

re: line noise and slower speeds

ANSWERED
9 REPLIES 9
Diocletian
Popular Poster

Hello,

At this stage, don't want any action taking, just some advice on behalf of an elderly relative who is not too tech savvy. A call was received with a lot of noise on the line, and crackling, and even the OP said they could hear some, the internet speed has also reduced to about 22 mbps but fluctuates from anything around 16-22mbps, before it was a solid 37mbps (give or take a mb) and the phone line had no noise, as I said, it's ok for now, just baffled as to what could be causing the drop in speed, and line noise. Don't want any action taking at this time due to the lockdown and staying at home with a cold. Any feedback/ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Tartanarmy1
Chat Champion

Sometimes that’s happens with me when the phone line has got a bit loose from its connection with the phone. I’d try making sure it’s in ok. Can’t help you with the speeds 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Diocletian,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on the phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on the line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Although, if you are keen for nothing to actually be done at this stage then be aware that if the line test does detect a very clear fault somewhere it can automatically arrange an engineer callout, although this would usually be if it was an external fault, and so the engineer would not be coming to the property.

The staff here could also run some tests on the phone line if you like.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that the TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify the account, and they will then be able to help.

If the account is in your relatives name then you could add their details into the 'private notes' section in the community profile, this will help the staff verify the account details.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

Diocletian
Popular Poster

Hello,

Thanks for the replies, will try both suggestions, we are not losing internet, just the speed is slower, and there is noise on the phone line. The light on the router is solid white.

Cheers again.

Diocletian
Popular Poster

Hello,

I have updated community profile as you suggested, and will wait to hear from you regarding the issues previously mentioned. Did the speedtest again this morning several times and no improvement, I think it might be best to arrange the engineers appointment at this stage, as soon as is possible, as leaving the router plugged in, or unplugging for 30 minutes is making no difference. Hope a staff member sees this message and can reply to it.

Thanks again,

Alex

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Diocletian

Apologies for the delay. Sync speed is currently 33.5Mbps, have you noticed any improvement at your end?

Chris

Diocletian
Popular Poster

Hello,

Thanks for the prompt reply, the speed is still hovering around from 20-21 mbps and fluctuating at times, and I have left it at least 5 days for the line to stabilize, but it is not back to the solid 37 it was before. 

Please advise as to the next steps, as I think the engineer might have done something at the cabinet at the village, as it was working well prior to this?

I have attached a zip with some screenshots.

Regards,

Alex

Diocletian
Popular Poster

Hello again,

Still stuck at the same speed (20-21mbps) and it seems the DLM has not reset, and gone back to full speed. Also below the guaranteed speed, in the speed to router section on talktalk website, but stability check says everything is fine? 

Please PM or reply back, as I would like to resolve this issue, I can only say it has been bad since there was an openreach engineer in the village working on the cabinet, and it was fine before then.

Thanks,

Alex

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Diocletian

I have posted on your other thread on the Community.

Thanks

Diocletian
Popular Poster

Thank you