cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

severe jitter & wildly varying speeds since upgrading from fast fiber to the free boost offered.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Team Player

I was advised to start a new thread. A few weeks ago I took the free upgrade from faster fibre to faster fibre speed boost.

my jitter is now 160ms (1.6sec) in speed tests. my download speed varies from 0 - 82mbs within a few seconds, all the time, I do not have a stable connection.

when I  do an online test  on your site it says its fine everytime , when I click for live chat the link does nothing (I have tried on firefox & brave browsers on different days).

I was given this link in another thread , but again , the online chat link just scrolls down the page to

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300#chat

can someone please help, I work from home at the moment & its impacting work as well as streaming & online play.

I just want someone to look into it & adjust the settings to make it stable again.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi TheElz

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 62.4mb.

I can see re connections on the line, do you reboot the router when you experience this issue or is the router always left switched on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

this issue is constant (a speed check wont show the unstable speeds as it shows an average, but when doing a constant download of a game from xbox live you can see the speeds all over the place as it is for some time (& my xbox is hard wired into the router)

since the upgrade I have only turned off the router once, as your guidelines say to not turn it off while you deem the correct stable speed to fix it as & turning off can case you problems ascertaining this.

if you'd like me to reset the router I can if you want me to try.

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

@TheElz 

Try testing you line with Cloudflare’s speed checker, provides much better insight into your broadband line. 

Also,

• Which router are you using?
  • what are the connections stats showing for  Line Attenuation and SNR Margin? 

Have you tried connecting your router into the test socket? 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-guide-to-master-sockets/ta-p/2205432 

Highlighted

Hi TheElz

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just trying to determine if the connection is dropping or if the re connections were the router being rebooted, thanks for confirming this.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Cloudflare speed check advises

Download  58.3 Mbps

Upload  14.2 Mbps

Latency 13ms

Jitter  6.89ms

I had a new router sent out  in the last 6 months & the only time I shut off the router since the speed boost was once for a few hours as your website said this needed to be done to pick up the new speed limit & that it should not be turned off for the next 2 weeks while your side works out the highest speed that remains stable.

so if you have multiple reconnections that's a problem.

My House only has 1 socket.  with 1 phone & the router going into it.

Highlighted

Hi TheElz,

Did you experience the same issue with the other router?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

no - it was disconnecting, the new router resolved it.

after the speed boost this happened, it was only turned off once since for a few hours, as i was advised to do this for the speed cap to reset.

I tried a sustained download today from xbox & got 5-9MBs (40-72mbps) speeds varying all the time which is a lot better , but I would expect over an hour of download the speed to settle & it didn't.

Highlighted

Hi TheElz,

Thanks for the information. As you had a different problem with the other router we can try sending another router just to rule out any potential issues with the current one. I appreciate it's a bit of a long shot but think it's worth giving a try

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player
if you like, i dont mind. I tried another speed test and its now quite stable, but the same speeds as before
38mbps download
14mbps upload
not sure why its dropped all the way back down to before.
Highlighted
Team Player

if can only be this speed its pointless having a speed boost & not what was offered.

Highlighted

Thanks for the update

We are trialing a new way of sending out routers, would you like to take part in the trial, we just ask that you fill in a short survey afterwards - is this OK?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Cloudflare speed check today advises  (there was a power cut today approx 11am, so you'll see it went off for approx 30 mins then & then  reset after )

Download 58.6 Mbps

Upload 13.7 Mbps

Latency 43.5ms

Jitter 5.84ms

it does seem to be more stable now.

Highlighted

Thanks for the update, glad to hear there's been some improvement. Could you continue to monitor and let us know if you experience any further problems 

Chris