Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

speed

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Chatterbox

hi , just a quick question to see if anyone else has had this problem.Changed to talktalk fibre about 6 /8 weeks ago and all was fine at first then a couple of weeks ago noticed a drop in speed in the evening from around 30mb to anywhere from .5 up to 12 mb. If I unplug just for 30secs /1 min the router it goes back to normal sometimes for the rest of the night sometimes for an hour  .

not sure whats its like at other times of the day as i,m at work.did the live chat  at 4.30 pm but got nowhere as all the checks they did came back ok ,I tried to explain that this is what i expected because whenever it dropped their live chat/ phonelines were shut.having said all that its just done the same this afternoon about 2pm but i did,nt have time to contact them  .

did disconnect power to router a few days ago for 30 mins this seemed to help for approx 48hrs.

So if anyone has any ideas thanks in advance 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @gishy ,

Staff will be able to take a look at this for you when they are back tomorrow.

Just a word of caution, try to avoid switching the router off and on too many times each day. Each time you restart the router like this the equipment in the street cabinet will see this as a potential 'fault', and if the number of 'faults' it detects in a day exceeds a threshold it will start to slow down your connection even more to try to stabilise the line. You can probably get away with a couple of restarts a day, but once you start hitting 5 or 6 a day then the systems might start to reduce your speed.

Switching the router off for over 30 minutes is fine, as the street cabinet it clever enough to assume you have powered it down deliberately and so it won't detect these as a 'fault'.

It can be normal for speeds to reduce at peak times if the street cabinet you are connected to is heavily utilised, however you would not expect speeds to drop by the amount you are seeing, and if you are also seeing drops in speed outside of peak times then it maybe that there is some other cause.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

thanks for your reply ,one of the problems is that i,m not there during working hours so not sure what the speeds are like during the day.trouble is unplugging the router does seem to work but the issue is really random in time and frequency.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi gishy,

When the speeds drop are both devices connected by Ethernet cable and wi-fi affected?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

yes although i have,nt done any speed checks on wifi for obvious reasons. I only check via my main pc which is on a ethernet cable.I don,t know wether this helps or not but whenever i do a check the response (latency ) time is always 14ms as soon as any number bigger than that appears it means the the download speed has dropped.

also in case it helps i made a note of the speeds and times a few nights ago 

8.15pm = dropped to 2.5mb

8.51pm = 19.2mb

8.57pm = 3.7mb

9.33pm = 32.4mb (after unplugging router for approx 1min)

It is very random when it occurs it might be ok one night then the next it drops out 2/3 times 

any help would be greatly appreciated

Highlighted

Hi gishy

Thanks for your reply.

The line tests have not detected any faults and the line is in sync at 34.4mb.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

hi, a new router might be an idea although it seems to have been ok for the last few days(famous last words lol) perhaps see how it goes if it starts again then maybe I can always post on this thread and you can send one  .when I first spoke to your colleague via online chat she said that the line checks she did did,nt show any problems but about an hour later it went again .possibly a difficult fault  to pin down

thanks for your help

Highlighted

Hi gishy

Ok no problem. If you do experience any further issues then please post back here and I will send you a replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

hi debbie ,remember me just to let you know it has started slowing down again down to 7.2 this morning unplugged router  ,fired it up again and back to normal approx 30 ish.

noticed a couple of times lately pages seemed to take a while to load but did,nt have time to run a test ,maybe your idea of a new router might be a good idea

thanks

Highlighted

Hi gishy

I'm really sorry for the delay.

How has the connection been since your last post? Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

hi ,to be honest i,m not sure it seems very random last couple of days it dropped once then i restarted router and its been fine,but how long that lasts who knows. I thought it was going to start playing up again but it seems to have settled down 

Problem is if it drops once you never know whats going to happen it could be ok for a while or like last time be constantly up and down for days.I can only suggest we just give it more time and i will get back in touch if needs be .

thanks again

Highlighted

OK gishy, just let us know if you need any further assistance 

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

hi,

whats the saying about famous last words .no end of slowdowns tonight all evening speed has been up

and down changing by the minute ,lowest reading i got was 2.6mb that was on your test page which always gets a higher reading than the others i use.one minute it could 20mb then it drops down then goes up so i unplugged the router for maybe 20 secs and its bacjk up to 30mb again so maybe a new router is an option

thanks

Highlighted

Hi gishy

I've ordered you a replacement router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie