cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

suddenly can't get to rockauto.com

Reply
Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

@Anonymous wrote:

Another thought.

 

Have you tried contacting the site directly to ask if anyone else is reporting access problems - particularly since that outage you mention happened 4 week or so ago ?

 

 


I have contacted rockauto this morning via email.

Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

@ferguson wrote:

Well, if you can effectively use your phone as a router then that would support the argument. It certainly shows that it isn't a DNS issue. Which TalkTalk router do you have? Have you tried a pinhole reset?


Must admit, only done a power cycle.  What does the pinhole reset do?  Router is a talk talk super router, huawei hg633

Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

Just done a pinhole reset.

And wait for it.........................................no bueno.

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

Which router is it? I would wait until Monday now and hopefully the OCE will agree to send you a replacement to test with.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ferguson wrote:

Two devices connected to routers other than the one causing the problem do not have the issue otherwise. So no amount of flushing appears to make a difference. You?

Please explain why only one site is effected. 

 

My logic - you really should read all the posts in the thread.

 

But for the record - flushing the caches (if it doesn't initially resolve the issue) also provides a "clean" start point from which to further investigate the problem. Common troubleshooting logic.

 

But hopefully @OCE_Chris may be able to shed a more logical TalkTalk light on this issue (give or take his bank holiday work schedule).

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star


To answer your questions in turn, I wish I could, don't you? I have read all the posts in the thread, have you? Flushing the cache seems irrelevant when the self-same device has no issues with another router, don't you think? Best left alone until the support team are back online next week - my bad for forgetting about the Bank Holiday - don't you think? Are we here to assist the OP, or do you just want to score points?

Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

Thank you for everyones help on this.  Not resolved yet, but we are certainly trying.  Im up for trying anything.  Well, within reason!!

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

Maybe try another router - friend, or family - if you can? Otherwise wait until the support guys pick this up again. You never did say which model you are currently using? Still an odd one, though!

Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

@ferguson wrote:

Maybe try another router - friend, or family - if you can? Otherwise wait until the support guys pick this up again. You never did say which model you are currently using? Still an odd one, though!

 

I actually did.  Its up there in the replies somewhere.

Certainly weird.


 

Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

Router is a talk talk super router, huawei hg633

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

Ok, one more thing, sorry, but which firmware version does it have?

andyfanshawe
Team Player

@ferguson wrote:

Ok, one more thing, sorry, but which firmware version does it have?

 

No worries...

Hardware version:
H.1.01
Software version:
v1.22t

 

Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

Now then, a bit more info that may be relevant, or not.  Just came to mind......

 

When we started on fibre broadband the router was installed and the world was good.  Laptops all around the house and all getting an excellent signal.  Then a few months ago (way before this rockauto thingymajig started), I started losing connection with the router sat on the settee, the furthest distance from the router.  Its only a humble semi detached house and the router is upstairs in my eldest sons bedroom (that looks like something from NASA with the tech in there).  I am sat downstairs the furthest away I could be in the house from the router.

Happening 5 or 6 times every evening and each time I had to wait to be reconnected or get closer to the router temporarily (sat on the stairs!).

The router had been very, very rarely switched off, even at night, so off it went for about 30 mins.  Restarted and things improved, but not like it used to be when it was first installed.

Now its about once a week compared to the 5 or 6 times every evening.

Hmm, wonder if the router is suffering.

 

My eldest son is hard wired to the router so obviously suffers no loss. My youngest is also ethernet cabled up so he has no issues.  Any devices downstairs in the living room had the weak, inconsistent signal.

 

May be relevant here, not sure.

 

Andy.

Highlighted
PaulB1001
Popular Poster

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm finding it very hard to understand why you (and others) can access the site through talk talk, but I (and at least 1 other on here!!) cannot.

Today the site is loading up, but the munus are not working. So still useless.


Well personally I still suspect it has something to do with the way your devices are resolving and/or storing the results of the DNS resolutions. You only have problems when you use the router, from your smartphone with wifi off (ie. bypassing the router) things are ok.

 

Everyone else can acces the site as (if my theory is anywhere near correct) by the time you reported the problem on these forums and other people tried accessing, the problem had already been cleared - but you still had some incorrect IP pointers somewhere.

 

It would be helpful if the other poster @PaulB1001 who said they were having problems could repost to say how they are getting on.

 

One final question, for clarification, when you cleared the caches etc. on your pc how did you clear the DNS cache (via command line prompt or using a utility program ?).


Site is working fine for me now

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

 


@PaulB1001 wrote:


 

Site is working fine for me now


Ok, many thanks.

Highlighted
remblance
Chat Champion

@andyfanshawe wrote:

@ferguson wrote:

Ok, one more thing, sorry, but which firmware version does it have?

 

No worries...

Hardware version:
H.1.01
Software version:
v1.22t

 


Hi @andyfanshawe

 

Sorry I know I am probably no help but your Software version is a couple of versions out of date, was v1.22.1t then v2.0t.

 

My router:

 

Product type: HG633

Hardware version: H.1.01

Software version: v2.00t

 

I can see rockauto.com on iPad Pro and Win10 Pro Edge. Tried a TRACERT and got the same results as you. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thought whilst you are waiting for the OCE. A diagnostic to rule out another possibility.

 

One thing that has probably been constant throughout all this is your external IP address. It can be quite difficult to get new fibre IP addresses (they very rarely timeout) but they can be "manually force" changed. The IP address will be unique to you, as apparently is the error.

 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/New-IP-address/td-p/1585192

 

Worth trying on the basis that you don't have much to lose at this point of time ?

Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

@remblance wrote:

@andyfanshawe wrote:

@ferguson wrote:

Ok, one more thing, sorry, but which firmware version does it have?

 

No worries...

Hardware version:
H.1.01
Software version:
v1.22t

 


Hi @andyfanshawe

 

Sorry I know I am probably no help but your Software version is a couple of versions out of date, was v1.22.1t then v2.0t.

 

My router:

 

Product type: HG633

Hardware version: H.1.01

Software version: v2.00t

 

I can see rockauto.com on iPad Pro and Win10 Pro Edge. Tried a TRACERT and got the same results as you. 


Just checked again and it is now v2.11t.  But, no difference.

Highlighted
andyfanshawe
Team Player

@Anonymous wrote:

Another thought whilst you are waiting for the OCE. A diagnostic to rule out another possibility.

 

One thing that has probably been constant throughout all this is your external IP address. It can be quite difficult to get new fibre IP addresses (they very rarely timeout) but they can be "manually force" changed. The IP address will be unique to you, as apparently is the error.

 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/New-IP-address/td-p/1585192

 

Worth trying on the basis that you don't have much to lose at this point of time ?


Hi An excellent idea.  My eldest has links to our present IP address in the uni work he is doing.  Way too complicated for me to understand!  So don't want to go that way if poss.  May have too though.  He says he will change his work if he has too though.

Will seriously bear this in mind though.  Thank you.

 

Andy.

 

PS  This is going to be one of these irresistible things I may HAVE to do!!!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you follow the procedure in the TT thread I linked it is quite easy.

 

And if you mess it up you just do a pin reset to recover the original modem settings.

 

But, just for my curiosity. You say "My eldest has links to our present IP address ...". Technically althought they rarely time out, fibre IP's are still dynamic and could change at any reboot, how is he maintaining the link ?