Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

super slow fibre, here we go again

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Team Player

Seriously thinking of leaving talktalk as soon as the 28 days to fix my fibre speed is up, so far I'm almost 8 days in and no resolve for my slow fibre speed.

Absolutely fed up with talktalk online chat, just getting no where with them, just the same old questions each time i try and chat with them.

I once was getting the Guaranteed  minimum DL of 34Mb, but now it dropped as low as 10Mb, But hey talktalk says there is nothing wrong with my line when a test is run.

Absolute garbage. 

Highlighted
Community Star

If these are speedtest figures, then these are not the guaranteed ones, the router's downstream line is. This might account for why they think there is nothing wrong, but it needs to be proved.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

DownloadUpload

22826 KBits/s(2853.25 KBytes/s)
7708 KBits/s(963.5 KBytes/s)

Wired speedtest

We recorded your speed as

DownloadUpload

22826 KBits/s(2853.25 KBytes/s)
7708 KBits/s(963.5 KBytes/s)

Internet Connection

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
WAN IP Address:
Primary DNS Server:
Secondary DNS Server:

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved

BT broadband availability checher.PNGCapture2.PNG
Highlighted
Community Star

Your router is currently connected at 22.8M, which is obviously less than the guaranteed figure that you have quoted. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jrkennedy

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted? Is the router connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

the router in the last 3 weeks since i contacted talktalk has not been turned off, with the exception of Sunday when i tried a connection in the test socket. 

I cannot be sure if the line keeps dropping. 

at the moment i'm connected to the MASTER socket NOT the test socket .

I don't want to be upsetting the DLM by plugging in and out of the socket all the time.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jrkennedy,

Ok thanks for the additional information. Would it be possible to connect the router back at the test socket whilst we are looking into the speed? It can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the speed if the connection remains stable.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

ok , ill do that now.

will the house phone work, whilst in the master master socket,if not we can use mobiles.

shall i leave it connected to the master socket for 48 hrs?

Highlighted
Community Star

If you connect a plugin microfilter at the test socket you can use both your router and home phone via that.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jrkennedy,

Thanks. Could you bump your thread tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats again to see if their is any improvement in speed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

ok, so after plugging into the master socket, there is no change.

Highlighted
Team Player

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

The speed is still below the minimum.  Can you tell me if the phone line is clear, do you have a clear dial tone on the phone ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Team Player

just reconnected the master socket and tried the landline, yes the line seems to be clear. but the last time i had need to use it it was a bit crackly, nothing too bad.

So we are now will into my 28 days below the guaranteed minimum, 

What to try next?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jrkennedy

Have you tested with a different router? I can send a replacement router for testing.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Yes I have tried with a different router.

I have used a D-Link 3782 , I have used this Wired , Wireless, in the master socket , not in the master socket .

Then Talktalk sent be a BRAND NEW ROUTER ,a Huawei HG633.

This router is also giving the exact same results wired , wireless , master socket  etc.

When I log into talktalk and try service status the results say that the speed TO my router could be improved.

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jrkennedy

Thanks for your reply.

Is your router currently connected at the test socket? I can then pass this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

OCE Michelle asked me to plug into the test socket for 48hrs , 48hrs to give the DLM time to adjust , also time for tests to be done . 

At the Moment i'm plugged into the MASTER socket not the Test socket, I have elderly relatives who may need to phone my landline.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi jrkennedy

Did the speed not change at all whilst connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

Nope, the didn't change at all.Capture.PNG