cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

talktalk routers fit for purpose??????

21 REPLIES
Highlighted
abouttohangmyself
Team Player

hi everyone 

new here and not very computer savvy so please bare with me.

been with talktalk for 15 months started with normal broadband 17mb (no issues) then after this contract ended went with the fibre broadband large at 80mb.

i upgraded on 27th june 2017 and first they didnt activate the boost that took several weeks and a openreach engineer visit to make them understand. 

then after 6 weeks was finally activated but not done properly so was only showing 40 mg on my account details this was finally sorted and showed the correct details on account.

so i'm supposed to get a min guaranteed  speed of 76.64 this i have never got, speeds range from 0.64 upto 71.41, i can do several tests over an hour and received results anywhere inbetween.

i have had 5 engineer appointments (3 openreach and 1 talktalk) the 5th one was supposed to be openreach but talktalk never booked it in properly.  which i have lost half a days pay for each appointment.

now all the engineers have completed line tests with the worst result being a continued speed down line to master socket of 77.mb one engineer even stated that the line is capable of 137mb so the 80mb shouldnt be an issue.

so 11 weeks later it takes me 20 mins to watch a 5 min youtube video 

i have done 4 lots of ping/tracert tests and sent them but all i get told is they need 48/72 hours well 1848 hours later still nothings been done.

i have also had 3 replacement routers 2 x D-link DSL3782 1x HUAWEL HG633 all with same results, this is all run on wired connections not wifi.

cant anyone shed any light on the routers not being capable of giving the through put speed ??

thank you 

Victormeldrew666
Enlightened One

The supplied routers were never any good for me but:

If the openreach engineer got 77mbps on his test equipment then the problem is internal or there is a connection between your place and the cabinet with a bad joint which, faced with a deluge of data, cannot cope. I wonder if his readings fluctuated the same as your tests and he just told you the best?

Did he/they check the connection with the faceplate in place? ( they usually just remove it and use the test socket).

Did he/they check (if you use a filter) if the filter needed changing?

Might be useful to post the stats from the router interface. This would at least show what speed the router is syncing at and if there is any interleaving on the line. 

You can, of course use a 3rd party modem/router, but until you know there are no other issues it may well be a waste of money. It took me 4 months to get openreach to get my connection sorted - (then I changed router when it still only got 69mbps with huge interleave downstream ) tt customer service booked the wrong type of engineer three times via phone -better off getting engineer booked through here if you can.

Usually I would just say go get another modem/router but something else seems to be an issue here.

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

thank you for the reply,

all 4 engineers stated that the line check was fine and 2 showed me the results on his device which stated no errors and the down speed was constant with no drops. (all for have stated the same)

they did with face plate on and 2 open reach engineers even replaced the master socket with the new 5c mk 4 socket.

sorry i have no idea what you mean  stats from the router interface???

the cabinet is less then 100 yards from my place and this has also been checked by the engineers, one mentioned requesting i lift and shift but when mentioned this to talktalk was told this is not possible, i had 3 line engineers and the last was a talktalk broadband engineers who brought a brand new router with him tried and same results.

im at my wits end with them every time i call im on phone min of 1.5 hrs explaining giving them 3/5 mins to look into it then eventually saying sending it to net team need 48/72 hrs 

Victormeldrew666
Enlightened One

You can always try a 3rd party modem/router or get a 2nd hand hg635 off ebay (635 should be around £30 - 3rd party modem/router may cost a lot more.

Which router are you currently using? Someone can let you know how to post stats page.

Best to make sure all other options have been explored before having to spend your own money.

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

thank you for the reply

currently using the D-link DSL3782 

i just want to eliminate/prove routers are fit/unfit as they have claimed to have been testing for 11 weeks and have not found the problem. 

just seems that everything upto the master socket is running the speeds needed and it reduces over the 6ft from there to the laptop.

if someone could talk me through getting the stats  would be great

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

i sent the 4th lot of ping/tracerts to them on Monday 11th i spoke to a fault manager shortly after who informed me he had sent the test results to the network team but will need 48/72 hrs for them to do anything.

so just called to ask for an update after 48hrs and now have been told that the ping/tracerts results have not been forwarded to the network team, this fault manager telling me he has now sent the results but suprise suprise "we need 48/72 hrs"  

is this how they get people to the end of the contract periods ???? eventually all these 48/72 hrs mount upto 11 weeks then 12 months 

abouttohangmyself
Team Player
really p***ed off now just burnt my dinner whilst listening to the excuses of yet another fault manager
stuart_smiles1
Wizz Kid

try using ping plotter to verify that you have a continuous connection from the laptop to the internet. 

in terms of doing verification of speed, the supportal-test.co.uk website is the same as talktalk's preferred one in my account. - enter your phone number after test so they can see the results. 

for testing to independent speed test go to speedtest.net

Thanks Stuart
abouttohangmyself
Team Player

thank you for the reply

ping plotter???

supportal-test.co.uk ive gone onto this site and just black screen

speed test are done on this site after one of the engineers used it i also use the bt wholesale site 

cheers 

ferguson
Community Star

@abouttohangmyself Unfortunately you have had the misfortune to receive poor advice here from other members which is best ignored. The constant posting has also had the effect of delaying a response from the official support team. Give it a day or two and they will look into this for you. Meanwhile make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile. https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile:personal-info

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

thanks for the replies 

i will await the support team to pick it up ans see if they can do anything

cheers 

Community Team

Hi abouttohangmyself ,

I can see that you have an open complaint and you have Complaint Manager helping you with this issue. As there is an open complaint I suggest that you address any question that you have to your Complaint Manager, they should be able to help.

Thanks

Chris

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

i have addressed this to them over the last 11 weeks and still no better or answers.

i have again today had another open reach  engineer who had no issues but he replaced all cable from house to cabinet and changed the ports in the cabinet and still the same issues, speed ok to master socket and breaks down from there 

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

so just got off the phone from a 2 hour call with another  fault manager explained to them that the openreach engineer had been here for 3 hours and what he had done, after constantly asking me to hold for 3/5 mins so he could read notes eventually he said he would contact the network team.

now theey are asking for yet another batch of ping/tracert tests to be done this is following the 20 i have already done,again they asking for 48/72 hours but this time it wont start until monday when they get back to work. they will also refer this to the manchester team when this should of been done earlier this week. so in short they have brought themselves another week of doing sod all.

i could get a job with talktalk now as i know the script they read from, i even explain to them now what the end of the converstation will be.

its got to be down to the routers not being able to cope with the speeds comming into them as all the line checks, engineers and so on.

ferguson
Community Star

The community support team are a great port of call if you come to them with your problem first. But as OCE Chris said now that you have gone through the formal complaints channels they can no longer get involved. I wasn't aware when you first posted that you had done this, so apologies for suggesting otherwise. Good luck, I hope you get things sorted.

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

formal complaints is a joke nothing gets done anyway its the same old story with them 11 weeks in over £400 in loss of earnings for the time off work plus paying them for crap service.

i think next step is offcom and or the ceo 

ferguson
Community Star

Ofcom can't help with individual complaints, feel free to contact the CEO, you can ask your complaints manager to escalate it for you. Like I said good luck, shame you didn't come here sooner.

stuart_smiles1
Wizz Kid

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/communications

Are apparently the appropriate people to go to, AFTER Talktalk's processes have been followed - there was a thread a few weeks ago that had the complaints procedure on it.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-make-complaint 

And 

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-make-complaint 

- Perhaps someone else has it, but you have to get to a "deadlock letter" to go to the ombundsman.

Perhaps give them a call to understand the process as they understand it.

Thanks Stuart
abouttohangmyself
Team Player

sorry my mistake i meant the ombudsman services

ferguson wrote:

Ofcom can't help with individual complaints, feel free to contact the CEO, you can ask your complaints manager to escalate it for you. Like I said good luck, shame you didn't come here sooner.

abouttohangmyself
Team Player

thanks for the reply

i think this is my only option left as after 5 engineers with no line issues found i just keep going around and around with the fault managers.

12 weeks on tuesday and no futher forward